Anyone experience missing packages that had tracking numbers?

I have a Ring doorbell with motion detection, and had 2 packages today claimed delivered by the Post Office that were not actually delivered and nothing recorded around the time of alleged delivery. I went out to check 8PM no more than 20 minutes after the time noted as delivered on both (7:40PM) and saw nothing. So I rewound the Ring motion cap video of my stepping outside and backwards in time to 7:25 PM and nothing - not a soul dropping off anything all the way back to 7:25 til I stepped out at 8PM. So not a package stolen, but clearly the postal worker screwing up (wrong address or other issue).

Thankfully each of the orders was relatively small compared to what I usually order but I'm steaming right now as a couple of the lots in those orders I needed on a build I'm working on right now. I'll look for replacements from other stores or same store if they still have counts of what I need. I really with the Post Office had a competitor, UPS & FedEx would be too expensive for the smallish packages handled here.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The postal worker must have backtracked and dropped them off. I went outside again just now 10PM and they were right there on my steps. Wow, clearly their tracking system is messed up in some way like maybe the truck driving by flags it as delivered even if not that second. Or maybe somehow the Post Offices's system alerts on a tracking complaint right away and the worker was like "Oh geeze, their Ring proves I didn't actually deliver it when I said."
  • Well good thing that it was delivered at least :-)
    Here in denmark, our "postnord" will do the same, leave a note in the mailbox, saying you were not home etc.

My car is in the driveway, there is light turned on in the house, Come on now :-P
  • Misdelivered would be my guess, with the recipient kindly doing them off at the right address.
  • I agree with Hoddie, maybe check Ring to see whoe delivered it to your doorstep :)
  • JayB, I know for a fact my local USPS (San Diego County) scans all packages as delivered as they go into their truck, which means I don't get it physically until between 1-2 pm, six hours later. On the one hand I can see that being expeditious for them on understaffed routes, on the other hand it makes the concept of a delivery scan kind of a joke. I am VERY glad you ended up actually getting them though!
  • I checked Ring and didn't see who dropped them off, they must have been stealthy.
  • Yes, especially with parcels, the carrier will scan them as "delivered" beforehand to avoid having to carry the scanning device with them and scan them at the door (like they are supposed to).