Headlight Brick (4070) – Slot or No Slot?

Only yesterday I realized that the most of Headlight bricks (4070) being sold on BrickOwl are No Slot version. I've checked mine, and they are ALL version With Slot. When parting-out I routinely choose that Alternate, because I've never seen a recent set with No Slot variation. Our store (officially) does not differentiate mold variations, but we always try to list those items correctly.
So, how do you deal with Headlight bricks? If you have new No Slot bricks in your inventories – and you are absolutely sure they are No Slot variation – when and where did you find them? Also, if you don't differentiate mold variations, why did you decide to list them as Slot version?

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interesting. I'm in the same position as you, all of mine have a slot and I don't think I've ever parted one out that was without a slot. And I also hadn't realised that there were so many being sold that had no slot.

I haven't checked any current prices but there are several bricks that I part out regularly that always have alternates and I always have the same version and that's always the cheapest version. And this is one of them.
  • I believe TLG has confirmed that it shouldn't have a hole (the "slot"). The reason BO has both 'variants' is because older sites like Peeron and BL did, but even BL have seen sense and combined the two. I do differentiate mold variations but not on this part, and I add a disclaimer that says as such. I believe I list against the variation that has most items available for sale.
  • Although I do try to differentiate the two, it's not always easy. Sometimes the 'slot' is barely visible, and I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the slot (or lack of, can't remember!) is to do with the structural integrity. I think in the same piece there was a suggestion that the non-slot version is actually a molding defect, whereby the plastic has pooled in the slot opening during manufacture.
  • We do the same and differentiate variations. Anyhow this part makes absolute no sense for us. For that reason we have all added as "w/o slot". Maybe it's also time for Brick Owl to clean up the database and keep the live simple :smile:
  • We do formally separate mold variations on our store, as most of our business lies in used, older parts... and it really doesn't take that much more time at all, save the 1 x 1 round plates with or without groove (digging for those just plain sucks rocks, sigh). We make a point of that, because when I was parting out a lot of sets, too many times wishlist order generators would steer me to the variants, or to stores innocently not realizing there was a variant, etc. Since I always built for myself and not for sale it was never a huge deal to me, but I'm sure there's folks that part out for resale. I really had to train myself to check the front pages of recommended stores (something I didn't realize early on - I didn't even realize there WERE mold variants early on, lol).

But I digress... We find the "no slot" way less often than "with slot" (I'm assuming the slot is a plastic extrusion pip or some such?) but definitely have run across them in older parts (e.g., in light gray, as an example).

To differentiate, I hold the part up sideways against my monitor or if sorting on the couch, to my TV set to see if light comes through - I found that more accurate than eyeballing it, one of my earlier store mistakes (one of many sigh, but we all live and learn! <s>).

I think that differentiation is living on in people's parts lists somewhere for older sets, as I do get a lot of requests for "no slot" ("do you have any no slot not listed on your store right now?"). So it's really all about your store's sales strategy, when it comes down to it.
  • BL no longer differentiates the two variants. And the BLID for the part is listed under the variant without slot. So everybody who sells on both sites will have theirs listed without slot when they sync their inventories with Bricksync.
  • Sensing a “Disturbance in the Force”
    There may be some confusion on the term “slot” and until reading (thanks to everyone above btw) thought it meant the opening at the back...but correct if wrong about this:
    All headlights should have the square opening at the back opposite the stud side. It seems the term “slot” may refer to a small divit (sp?) to the left on the lip / “sill” under the stud as in the image here on BrickOwl.😕
  • @Pikka - WOW, that image is what has been missing for many of us newbies to understand the term. This image needs to be the default for that variant! Never seen it before and guess that a few others who have this part listed “with slot” came to our same Wrong conclusion that it is the opening at the back!
    As my grandfather said, “Well knock me down and call me Flatty!”
    You continue to enrich us!
  • edited September 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @One_Click_Off Well, list it wrongly and call it Slotty! ;)
  • Lol Pikka!! And One Click, yes, I still run across parts I didn't even realize there were variants too - and I fell in the same thought pattern early on re the slots.

I have noticed that some very kind folks have started uploading comparisons to the part variants as alternate images, which I for one am VERY grateful for - it's such a huge help to be able to see the difference between the handheld radios or arches side-by-side!

Off topic (sorry), but I wonder if it would be useful in BO, @Lawrence, if parts with variants had (visible only when data is available) had a variation comparison button or tab (some kind of shortcut) that showed a large image comparing the variations with their BO IDs and an optional text field. And in the edit field, an option than to submit that information that links to updating the info for all the linked variants at once. Info like that would be super helpful to any level of end user. Just thinking out loud! I always end up referring to stuff like that over and over each time I sort new stock.
  • All 4070 parts made these days have the slot, regardless of what LEGO may say or what BL may state. New parts all have the slot. Old parts may or may not but you have to go years back for that.
  • Now I would like to complete the confusion.
    I have attached an image showing the part 4070. The only clear item is the right one with slot. The left and the second from left have a small hole - very thin plastic wall from molding. And the second from right has a longer cutout - also very thin plastic wall.
    The right one is with slot - I think we all can agree. But what about the others. When is the slot a real slot?
    In my opinion it's absolute nonsense to differentiate this kind of molding as a separate variant.
    1.png 237.2K
  • I think the slot has always been there, but years ago the molding was less good, so platic flowed in/over the slot. Take an old brick without slot, hol it up to the light, you will see the slot is there.
    I'm just going through a bunch of Lego from the eighties, some have a visable slot, some don't but in the light the slot is always there.

So it's not a question, to slot or not to slot, but only how visable is it :)

I even did not know that BO makes a difference, but since that is so, the BLID should be uncoupled. BL does not differentiatie anymore (the introduction of the 2 separate entries was a 1 man action on BL a long time ago), so the coupling between the 2 systems should be broken.
    Or (this would be better for a lot of sellers) BO should also no longer differentiate
  • edited September 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    To Slot, or Not to Slot, that's the question ;)
    OK, the people have spoken and I think this is time for @Lawrence to chime in: Should we finally stop differentiating these two molds?
  • If LEGO doesn't consider them different, then we shouldn't either - let's merge the two!

Maybe we should all vote on the main screen for this conversation? :-)
  • Thumb up - I have voted
  • @calibrick I'd also vote for some way to see the variations, what the differences actually are
  • @Mrs Swoop Please check OliS' comment from September 30. There is a picture attached that shows the differences.
  • Thanks @Pikka , but I meant about variants in general
  • I'll start a new thread for voting on have an area that shows an image of any variations.
  • I posted the image variation voting at https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/10553/consider-adding-bo-catalog-entry-display-area-for-variant-images/p1?new=1, to separate it from the voting here to merge the headlight variants. :-) Hope that helps all!