Feedback should not be allowed

When a customer decides to cancel an order for ANY reason, they should not still be able to leave feedback, especially negative.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I totally agree. If you cancel the transaction should be cancelled and blocked off
  • Nah, it should depend on the circumstances. A customer wanting to cancel because you took too long, or didn't have what you said you had, or any other number of reasonable reasons, should imo be able to leave feedback to reflect that transaction.

Imagine if a buyer makes a purchase and then asks to cancel because they've found it cheaper elsewhere. That's legal in some places. It might not be nice, but it's legal. Some sellers would try and deny them their legal right and try and force through the sale - so in such a case the customer should be able to reflect that in their feedback, after the order has been cancelled.

If a customer leaves negative feedback that seems out of place (possible feedback system abuse), I'm sure BO admin would review the transaction and all related messages to see whether the feedback is justified or not.
  • I didn't realize you could still leave feedback against a cancelled order... seems to me its cancelled, so there is nothing to leave feedback against? So in the spirit of that, I definitely concur that feedback against a cancelled order would be inappropriate - just my respectful, humble opinion. I thought BO worked this way already though?

Re the very relevant use case Hoddie raises, since only sellers can cancel an order and if the customer cannot get the order cancelled upon reasonable request (e.g., before its pulled and shipped), I think that then falls into the issue reporting and disposition process with BO though, doesn't it? And if a store has enough issues of a certain type which they are not correcting after receiving admin guidance, no doubt they would be banned.

But conversely an order is a contract between two parties, and I'd think it's rare (I've only had two order canx requests, one from an awesome regular who asked once and I cheerfully did so not even asking why, and another for a first timer who found cheaper shipping charges from another vendor (mine are atrocious for sets - USPS prices are not the best and I barely mark those up for larger packages). While I eat the PayPal fees in those cases, I always do it with a smile, because that is good customer service.

I've never experienced the issue of this happening frequently though, so haven't given use cases too much thought. I'm not sure how they could leave feedback for a transaction that didn't occur... my regular customer may say "awesome, cancelled within an hour of request, no questions asked" while the new one may say "shipping prices blew, found it elsewhere." Neither of which is reflective, truly, of the service I provide, which includes product quality, packing, time to get it out the door, resolving any issues expeditiuosly, etc.

Just my humble two cents!
  • Concur, a customer initiated cancelled order should yield no feedback if there is no fault on the seller. A purchase is a legally binding agreement and if the buyer finds an item for a cheaper price in the future, that is on them.
  • @BigBBricks - a sale is not a legally binding contract in all jurisdictions. This site has to cater for non-US users, too, where a customer's legal right to cancel must be allowed. The problem with "if there's no fault on the seller" - is subjective. The seller will almost always believe that the fault lies with the other party.
  • "Imagine if a buyer makes a purchase and then asks to cancel because they've found it cheaper elsewhere. That's legal in some places. It might not be nice, but it's legal. "

Non omne licet honestum est - Not everything legal is honest.
  • Buyer’s Remorse: When the FTC’s Cooling-Off Rule May Help

The FTC’s Cooling-Off Rule gives you a 3-day right to cancel a sale made at your home, workplace or dormitory, or at a seller’s temporary location, like a hotel or motel room, convention center, fairground or restaurant. It also applies when you invite a salesperson to make a presentation in your home. But not all sales are covered.

At the Time of Sale
    By law, the seller must tell you about your right to cancel at the time of sale. The seller also must give you two copies of a cancellation form (one to keep and one to send if you decide to cancel your purchase) and a copy of your contract or receipt. The contract or receipt should be dated, show the name and address of the seller, and explain your right to cancel. The contract or receipt must be in the same language that is used in the sales presentation. Your right to cancel for a full refund extends until midnight of the third business day after the sale.

Exceptions to the Rule
    Certain types of sales can’t be canceled, even if they take place in places normally covered by the Rule. The Cooling-Off Rule does not cover sales that are:

under $25 for sales made at your home;
    under $130 for sales made at temporary locations;
    for goods or services not primarily intended for personal, family or household purposes. (The Rule applies to courses of instruction or training.);
    made entirely online, or by mail or telephone;
    the result of prior negotiations at the seller's permanent place of business where the goods are sold regularly;
    needed to meet an emergency;
    made as part of your request for the seller to do repairs or maintenance on your personal property (purchases made beyond the maintenance or repair request are covered).
    Also exempt from the Cooling-Off Rule are sales that involve:

real estate, insurance, or securities;
    automobiles, vans, trucks, or other motor vehicles sold at temporary locations if the seller has at least one permanent place of business;
    arts or crafts sold at fairs or places like shopping malls, civic centers, and schools.
  • Feedback is really about the seller though, not the order itself.
  • Do not agree that feedback given is about the seller. Look at my feedback, 99% of it is about the order NOT me.
  • @Tim's Brick House I disagree, your orders are you. Looking at your feedback - Service, quality, speed, packaging, accuracy - that's what you provide. How would you rate a seller if not by their orders?
  • I agree. Cancelled orders should be blocked both way from feedback.
  • I wholeheartedly agree with Mrs. Swoop - feedback is against a store/seller, not the product. As sellers, we clean and quality control our product - the same product the other 5000 stores here on BO have. ;-) So the rating is always about the seller - did the product they delivered match what they said it was? Did they package well? Did they get it into the mail in alignment with their stated dispatch time? Were they professional and respectful to customers? Otherwise, feedback is useless. :-)
This discussion has been closed.