Picking list

Morning all? Just a quick question does everyone add a picking list with their orders? I do if they are large orders, partly because it easier for me. If there are only a few items I dont bother, I dont like the idea of wasting so much paper, ink etc and the added problem of sheets of paper add to the weight of the finished order. As some of you might have seen from a recent discussion of mine, I am already having problems with bricks weighing far more than the suggestion and therefor having to pay extra postage costs myself so I feel this would by adding a picking list would only add to the problem.
Do customers expect picking lists? I know when I have placed orders on here, some stores do add the list others do not. Comments would be gratefully received.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Orders being sent internationally (with a CN22 or CN23) should always have an invoice included, and if you're attaching a CN23 in the clear plastic wallet, the invoice should be placed in there too. Normally, customs accept what is written on the CN22/3 in terms of the value of the goods, but there are occasions when they will ignore what's written and use their own estimate, resulting in higher than expected import fees and taxes for your customer. Including an invoice reinforces the value that you put on the CN22/3 which reduces (but does not negate) the chance of this happening.

Regards picking lists, I personally don't think it's necessary. Whenever this debate comes up it seems some customers like them but most don't care. What does seem to be a annoyance for many is where a package does not include the order number - but you can write this on the package or include a slip of paper with it on whenever you don't include an invoice. I used to print a label with it on and stick it to the inside lid of the box, but I stopped when I began to put an invoice in with every order, regardless of destination.
  • I put in a paper picklist with every single order. I use the paper to check off each item as I pick it. I've never had a complaint with this process, but have gotten several comment in positive feedback from customers appreciating the list.

My advice is - if your shipping margin is so tight that you find yourself paying for additional shipping, compensate by increasing your shipping prices.
  • Thank you both - I always include a thank you note with the invoice number. I havent rec'd any complaints yet but I was wondering. I did not realise that I should include the invoice with a CN22 order, I will certainly include them from now so thank you for that.
  • I always do,as it is helpful to me to tick off what i have picked and to add a thank you scibble.
  • Yep, always send one. Helps me when picking and confirms I've sent the correct pieces/colours/mold variations. Also, when folded, adds a further layer of protection in the padded envelope.
  • I pick off the screen, but do include an invoice (I try to hold it to one sheet of paper, even if I have to shrink the font) so I can write a thank you note on it, or just a personal hello... I think its really a personal choice when delivering in-country. No one has ever complained about receiving one (my weight options include the paper), and on occasion I do have businesses that order that benefit from having a physical invoice for tax purposes. That's doesn't make NOT including an invoice or pick list wrong either! :-) TBH, when one is included for something I buy, I only glance at it and then recycle the paper.
  • And also echo Jay above... it's another layer or protection for the shipment. :-)
  • As a buyer, I used to use the pick lists when they were sent with my orders, but nowadays I just have the computer open to the order page and use that as the check against the parts received. I'm still always amused and perplexed how a part is noted as "included" on a seller's picklist when it's missing from the box when I receive it...
  • I just include a small compliment slip & include the order number on the outside of the box.
    I send too clued the picking lists but at 4g per sheet I was finding it was costing the buyer unnecessary postage costs
  • I think I will carry on as I am. For larger orders with more parts I will include the pick list (if weight allows). I always put a thank you note with the order on anyway.
    Thanks for your comments - its great to know how other stores work. Take care everyone.
  • Same as Cali, I pick from screen, but I do add a sales order invoice to every order. I'm creating one anyway for my administration, and I see more and more professional lego builders asking for one, so I decided to add by default. Gives a professional impression, shows order number, and provides buyer with a 'checklist'.