Sellable MOC's?

BWABWA
edited January 2014 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
As AFOL's we (next to our store) regularly create our own MOC's...., these are (we think at least) neat big models of SciFi themes (BattleStar Galactica) or City (Modular Houses).....,

Currently we part the models out and sell the bricks but as "artists" this doesn't feel right.... any good suggestions on how/where to sell your MOC's (or get them displayed?)

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depends on where you live... if you're in the USA, some of the LEGO Brand Retail stores had set aside a small window for displays from members of the community, however, I believe the word coming down is that this program will be going away in the new year. YMMV. Otherwise, good options are to look into whether or not your local community has a LUG (LEGO User Group) or LTC (LEGO Train Club). There are quite a few scattered all across the US, and also many in Europe. Beyond that, there are a number of different exhibitions/conventions throughout the year (17 in North America & Europe by last year's count, I believe) wherein individual builders can sign up to display their builds. Most of these shows are happy to take any and all interested displayers, while others have minimum age requirements or pre-approve the MOCs that will be on display. This is all show dependent, but can easily be found on the respective show websites. You don't generally get a lot of displayers looking to sell their MOCs outright, so you should talk to the show management to determine if they will allow you to sell your MOCs directly from the display area, or if you would need to obtain a vendor booth. Here's a short list of the exhibitions I can recall off the top of my head - others can feel free to add to this list.

North America
    Brickworld - Chicago (full convention); Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne, and Lafayette (by invite only)
    Brickfair - Virginia, Alabama, New Hampshire, New Jersey
    Bricks Cascade - Portland
    BrickCon - Seattle
    BrickFete - Toronto
    BrickFiesta - Texas
    Bricks by the Bay - San Francisco Bay
    BrickMagic - Raleigh/Durham
    Kidsfest - Travelling exhibition

Europe
    1000 Steine - Germany
    LEGO World - Netherlands
  • edited January 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down

BrickFete - Toronto
    And Montreal , first time this year I think.

Edit-- sorry last year :)
  • Depends on where you live... if you're in the USA, some of the LEGO Brand Retail stores had set aside a small window for displays from members of the community, however, I believe the word coming down is that this program will be going away in the new year.
    Source?
  • people who work for brand retail that I've talked to.
  • I believe I heard about a new show this year in Philadelphia called Philly Brick Fest as well.
  • Depends on where you live... if you're in the USA, some of the LEGO Brand Retail stores had set aside a small window for displays from members of the community, however, I believe the word coming down is that this program will be going away in the new year.
    Source?
    TexLug has a representative (like all the Lugs) and we were informed by the Representative or go between the Lego Group and our Lug that the Lego Store Display would be changing or even might go away.
    we were told that the discount would go away and the free pick-a-brick cup was also going. It sounded like we could still display our MOC's but we would get nothing for it. (not even recognition as we are not allowed even now to have the creators name on the display).

I for one will be sad to see this go as I have displayed several MOC's over the years and enjoyed the discounts, now with no incentive I will put all my efforts in building MOC's for Lego Shows.

Oh and as for the reason for the post. If you want to sell a complete MOC and not part it out I would try your Local Craigslist.

SWG

• Oh we have a Lego show in Texas July 4th weekend called Brickfiesta! It will be in San Antonio, TX this year come one come all!!!!
  • @All..., Guess I was looking for other idea's... like display in public places (for example, store window, restaurant, children sward in a hospital) (with price tag and site reference (BO))...,
  • @BWA if that is what you are looking for, just go ask and talk with the store managers of various locations. If it is an extravagant model, they *should* want to have it just for the "aww" response. Especially if you tell they you will cycle it every month and bring in a different one.