Shippers to/from Southern CA: Delays at USPS Los Angeles Distribution Center

Hi folks! Just a heads-up, had a customer ask me to track a package that should have arrived 7/30 (I shipped 7/29 - Glendale is normally next day or day after for me), and still isn't there.

Submitted a tracer after tracking showed the dreaded, meaningless "delayed but still on its way" message at usps.com... got a call from USPS today.

They advised me that the package scanned in and is stuck at the LA Distribution Center (so it's been there almost two weeks now), and I should give it another week, that Center is VERY VERY short-staffed and behind right now. I asked him if he was sure it was THAT behind (I mean two weeks for what is normally two days is a LOT, and I haven't had this issue with any other orders, and I ship a lot within California as I'm in California), and he said "absolutely." He said things were fine, and then two weeks ago BOOM - lotta illness, etc., made for a sudden major staffing situation, and they are hiring more temp employees that this time.

I did google a bit out of curiosity (not that I thought the man was lying, to be clear <s>), and found https://istheservicedown.com/problems/usps/5368361-los-angeles-los-angeles-county-california-united-states. Ignoring the political and opinions and just looking at notes from sellers like us who's stuff is also disappearing down that black hole in the EXACT same time-frame, there is definitely some kind of issue over there. Seeing a lot of complaints for the Chicago processing center there, too.

So just a heads-up, if you're pretty confident you have a shipment that will likely move through that Hub, you may want to consider managing customer expectations up-front and advise that you are hearing about temporary delays from that specific processing center (just a thought!).

Comments