Advice on finding brown parts (old brown pre 2006)

I have been seeking some older brown parts which were colour "Old Brown" (Lego ID 25/Earth Orange) and finding it very much a game a chance having many listed in brown that are reddish brown where as all the pre 1998 brown I had through out my vintage was a yellow brown (even non aged it always had a yellow brown tint).

Looking for..

plate round 1x1 (6141)
plate 1x2 (3032)
plate 1x3 (3632)
plate with knob (3794)
plate 1x1 with holder (2555)
plate 1x1 with holder (4085)
stick with flange (63965)
stick / aerial (3957)

All these parts I have in old brown at the time so I know they were out there but tracking down the colour has been hard work.
Any advice how to go about hunting down vintage old brown and which colour options to try?

I know brown has been a headache to identify in general.

Many thanks,
Stephen

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The old colours can be difficult for sellers. Your chances of getting the right colour will, in my experience, be much improved if you buy new - sellers are much more certain when parting out a sealed, older set, thanks to the work put in by the set inventory volunteers over the years, as opposed to picking them out of a used lot they bought at a garage sale. But even with new there can still be errors, they're just less common imo.
  • Thanks Hoddie, guess its going to be a lot of hope... and trial and error.
  • edited August 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @sculley51, if you're in the US, I do try very hard to have my colors accurate (though am far from perfect, sigh) - I do think my browns are pretty correct, as I do compare them to reddish brown when listing. If my store has any of the parts you need in Brown, you buy them, and they prove to be incorrect in color, I would happily refund you the incorrect parts plus first class shipping costs in full so you don't lose shipping $$ giving it a shot with our store. We try to list our quality accurately, too (so used-good is used- GOOD). :-)
  • Like @Calibrick I too go to great lengths to make sure I have accurate colours (I have a palette with most colours, so can compare against other parts), and I would be happy to help, only I seem to have just one of the things you require!

Word of caution; be aware of parts where only one or two stores have them in that colour, or they don't seem to appear in any sets. This always sets alarm bells ringing for me...
  • Well said, @Jay37! That seems to indicate that they don't even come in that color frequently, and someone is just mislisting (certainly not always, but I've run into that a lot).