Colors problem

Some colors give me headaches! Please help :neutral:
Bioncle parts: Pearl Light Gray,Dark stone gray and dark pearl gray?
1x4 plates - Dark Turquoise?
8x8 plate - Violet?
Tiles - flesh maybe?
Sorry for being boring for stupid questions,I want to do this right :smiley:

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First image (Bionicles) - think you're spot on, although could be pearl very light gray for the top one (check the catalog entry to see if it comes in that colour), second image looks like medium azure, third image could be violet (assuming the tiles above are dark purple), and fourth image look like medium dark flesh.
  • Tnx! Wow, Dark Turquoise and Medium Azure are same for my eye...
    Also have big problems to make difference between Flat Silver and Pearl Light Silver...
  • Flat silver and pearl light gray can be problematic, especially with smaller pieces, and also some of the large Bionicle weapons. I imagine it also doesn't help that LEGO have tolerance ranges for the colors, so a lightish flat silver could maybe look like a darkish pearl light gray!
  • Depending on how your camera works with my video card, from top to bottom these appear to my eye to be:

1. Image0 (1): Pearl Light Gray, Dark Stone Gray, Pearl Dark Gray
    2. Image2: Medium Azure
    3. Image1: Dark Purple, Royal Blue
    4. Image0: Medium Dark Flesh

One way to be sure about a color (or at last narrow it down) is to find the actual part and see what colors it comes in in terms of it showing a number of SETS its included in. That helps exclude most cases of other sellers accidentally adding an incorrect color to the system. Though there are cases where a set just isn't showing a part yet (for the older sets).

As LegoKockica says, Flat Silver and Pearl Light Gray can be my nemesis sometimes for smaller parts, it really can come down to checking angles in the light to see if there is that pearl sheen or that flat silver shine and tone varations.

My biggest nemesis though is Light Gray and Medium Stone Gray, as some MSG parts have a browner tinge to the pour (but I KNOW are MSG, as I pulled them out of a set). :-(
  • Thank you for respond guys! @Jay37 @Calibrick are you sure for 8x8 plate?
    We don't have that color in the list for that part: https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-plate-8-x-8-41539-42534
  • Huh... the pic certainly looks Royal Blue, but with different video cards and monitors, it's not going to look to me like what you have in your hand.

It could very well be violet... I suggest finding a set with violet in it and comparing what's in your hand with what's on screen? (not a LEGO rendered color, but a photograph of a set using Violet parts). (sorry this is so unhelpful!) I have actually done that before to differentiate Medium Azure from Maersk Blue.
  • Top picture: pearl light gray, dark stone gray, dark pearl gray
    Second picture: medium azure
    Third picture: tiles- violet, plate- dark purple
    Last picture: medium dark flesh
  • Sorry, meant, BrickOwl purple for first of two on third picture...is LEGO bright violet and Crayola red violet
  • I think the 8x8 is definitely violet and not dark purple (although I think the tiles are). Violet comes in one set (4721 - Hogwarts Classroom), two sets in Dark Purple and doesn't appear anywhere as Royal Blue so think we can rule that one out. The fact that we are all struggling to agree is probably down to Violet being a comparatively rare color (I only have two items for sale), and therefore looking for another violet part to compare against could be tricky. Also violet is 'bluer' and from the picture the tiles look more 'purpler'...
  • On my monitor, the tiles look dead-on as Dark Purple over here...
  • @Jay37 and @Calibrick , Yes, definitely see it now for third picture😀
    Dark purple tiles and Violet 8 x 8 plate- well done!
  • Ha ha!! If it's any consolation @LegoKockica I still struggle with some of the common colours, let alone the rarer ones. If I'm in doubt they get filed away and are tackled on a 'sorting difficult bits and bobs' day. I sometimes wonder if the task would be less stressful accompanied by a stiff drink, but suspect this may not actually help... :D
  • So stressful man! :neutral: I must ask again :smiley:
    From the top:
    Bright Pink?
    Lavender or medium lavender?
    Dark Pink?
    I must learn! :tired_face:
  • edited August 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Bright Pink,
    Medium Lavender,
    Dark Pink.
    Fun fact: Medium Lavender is darker than Lavender >:)
  • From now on - my best friend :smiley: Tnx a lot!
  • Agree with Pikka, bright pink - medium lavender - dark pink :-)
  • Have to put this out there since everyone who is anyone is on this:
    What color is the long bill cap between medium blue, dark azure, regular blue?
  • This looks like a regular blue cap after a very long sun exposure.
  • Thanks @Pikka !
    Wasn’t familiar with the only other blue this comes in, Maersk Blue, but this wasn’t that lighter blue.
    Gonna chuck it...😭
  • Check the inside of the cap. It's highly probable that it will reveal the original color.
  • Inside says
    0 ‘2
    LEGO
    ?
  • edited August 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    :smile: What I meant is: check if the colors on the inside and the outside are the same shade of Blue. I suppose the inside was not exposed to the sun, so it retained the original color.
  • Good idea indeed! To check for oxidizing, sun scorch, etc.
    Yes same color🧐 hmmmmm
    Have a bin like @Jay37 bits and bobs- may throw it in for later
    Thanks again, @Pikka !