Additions should reset shipping time.

I have a customer who quite frequently adds to their orders. Because of this, sometimes the first couple get the notification that it's exceeded my shipping time. But I can't ship them out because the customer is still adding.

I think when someone adds to their order, it should reset the shipping time for the older ones. Just an idea. :D

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • At first thought this sounds reasonable. Second thought is that if the customer can still add then you haven't the processed/shipped the order yet so that's down to you. Then third thought, are they asking you not to process so they can add items? So I'm settling on yes, this is a good idea. Don't penalize the seller for trying to accommodate the buyer.
  • I agree, this is needed. We frequently have customers adding to their orders with a day or two in between and this would be helpful.
  • Automated calculations of average shipping times are also messed up when you oblige a customer by holding off on shipping an order until they are back from holidays a month later (we had that happen a few times). Good thing these stats are for seller-internal-use only. :)

Niek.
  • @qwertyboy so the buyer doesn't get a notification if the time is over the listed estimate?
  • That I don't know. I do believe that the metrics you see on your store page are not visible to customers.

Niek.
  • @qwertyboy on the day the statistics were added was, I had one of the cases where the buyer asked me to hold open for a few days even though the rest of the order was ready to go. I always do so, and sometimes on weekends, especially for buyers with parcel orders, I keep things in a Processed state which means on my end I've picked the order but haven't packed it up, as I wait until Monday morning to box it and label it since Canada Post doesn't do pickups on the weekend.
  • edited August 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    We have similar situations - I do have two customers that ask me to hold placed orders open for later combining, for as long as up to a week... but I think if it came down to BO enforcement, it's also easy to show the conversation history where its customer request vs. me lagging.

And I admittedly do lag occasionally, i.e., this week, several very large lot orders combined with my own illness (rough Crohns week) and day job craziness made for some tough order fills (I strive for same day or a max 48 hours, but there were two orders I just couldn't make it due to the double tap). But I also let those customers know and offered to bump them up to pri mail in case they were in a hurry. The nudge was a good reminder (I got my first nudge yesterday) amid too many distractions.

Objectively though, I rather like the nag. It does help keep us all honest, as well as ensuring some of our newer sellers don't innocently put a dispatch time that is aspirational rather than "for sure", ya know? :-)
  • @BigBBricks the buyer doesn't specifically get told that you haven't shipped in time, but they do get told when you do ship so they should be able to work it out for themselves.
  • The banner that appears has now been updated to ignore orders that are combined. The average despatch time that is shown on your store dashboard has not been adjusted.
  • That is awesome, thanks, @lawrence!
  • Awesome, thanks for the fix @Lawrence, amazing timing.
This discussion has been closed.