Sales tax nexus by US state

This is the available information I found at this time, I guess most of us will have to watch out for the states with the “or 200 transactions” . Half of all the states.
@Lawrence what would be very useful would be a running tally of sales to each state on the dashboard, possible?

$100k or 200 transactions. AZ, DC, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, NE, NV, NJ, NC, OH, RI, SD, UT, VT, WV, WI, WY

$100K and 200 transactions CT

$500k and 100 transactions NY

$500k. CA, TX

$250k. AL, MS

$100k. CO, ID, IA, MA, ND, NM, OK, PA, SC, TN, VA, WA

All. KS

None. AK, DE, FL, MO, MT, NH, OR, PR

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Curious about your source as Michigan does not have a threshold, its 6% on all transactions.

https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,4676,7-238-43519_43529-154427--,00.html
  • Time out before I could edit my post.

For Michigan, the threshold only applies to out-of-state sellers. If the seller has a physical presence in MI, then its 6% on everything, no threshold, probably the same in some other states too, so not as as straightforward as just showing transaction numbers by state.

This is why BL has outsourced their new tax collection stuff.
  • The threshold difference between physical presence in or out of state is the case for almost all states. Else actual stores would be exempt for the first 100k as well. A good booster for startups, but I don't think that would be correct.
  • I can't speak for Graham, but the source appears to be the same one I've seen, I think it's blog.taxjar.com. I made my own tracking for this in my overall offline spreadsheet that tracks other stuff... KS remains a challenge though, I haven't decided how to handle that yet - still hoping some kind of Federal oversight gets into this (a rare want for me, lol) to normalize this across state lines, kind of the whole reason for having a Federal government (to address appropriate multi-state needs).
  • The source(s) were several, I don’t recall the websites, but they all concurred (bar 1 entry on one site) this is “as it stands” currently subject to change.
    Due to the differences in states laws will make it difficult to track, however the majority of us, other than the high volume sellers, will likely not be impacted greatly. The state I sell most to is California and they don’t have the 200 transaction trigger.
    I definitely won’t be hitting the $ trigger in any state bar Kansas.

Honestly it’s a mess, when we were in NC you had the option of declaring all your OOS purchases OR you could opt for a fixed estimated fee. That was easy.