How do I mass upload items?

drhdrh
edited December 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
I want to add new items to my inventory but I can only find the method of adding items one at a time from the catalog page. This can get tedious with many items to add. Is there a way to mass upload from an XML or other file?

Regards,
Deanna

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Deanna,

You can mass upload inventory using a BrickStore file.
    Go to: "My Store -> Inventory -> Import / Update":
    http://brickowl.com/mystore/inventory/import
    And select one of the BrickStore bsx files options from the dropdown menu.

I always use the merge items option which creates new items as needed but avoids duplicate lots when adding inventory. For the initial load it probably does not matter. Be careful if you have stockroom items with non-zero quantities since BrickStore does not always import the stockroom flag properly.

Good Luck, Gerrit
  • I guess I should have added, I don't use BrickStore. Haven't used it since it stopped being supported/updated. Is a .bsx file in XML format?

Regards,
    Deanna
  • It is and XML file with a very specific format. You might want to check out this discussions:
    http://brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/950
    where DadsAFOL posted an excel program to convert an XML file to bsx format. He also posted the format the bsx file uses.

I have used BrickStore for years and although some functions no longer work I have had no issues with the other functions (on windows). The only problem I have had is that it ignores the stockroom flag.
    Gerrit
  • Deanna,

I am no expert, but if I understand things right there is the Brick Owl xml backup restore upload that can be used for certain things. Probably not much use if you want to synchronize stores or use BL info.

I just tested and used it to change the quantity of an existing lot without effecting the rest of inventory, I am having no luck creating a new lot though. It may be possible and I just don't know enough about the OWL lot id's.?

That all said by the time I look up a BOID, I am on the page I can add things in a couple more clicks, no pictures and just numbers makes me nervous, and most of the time admin follows my posts with much better information...

Joe

• Thanks Gerrit, I can work with that format and just create a "bsx" type of file without using Brickstore.

@Joe, I tried the BO XML update as well. It will update existing lots, but fails on attempting to add a new lot.

Regards,
    Deanna
  • I could create some sort of bulk upload via a CSV file which you could edit in excel for example. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of that over using the web interface though. Could you expand on how something like that might help, or how the web interface could be improved potentially?
  • OK, I'll explain my specific situation. It may apply only to me so it might not be worthwhile to implement for everyone.

First off, as I stated above, I do not use BrickStore. One, because Brickstore is no longer being supported/updated; and two, because it does not do everything that I need it to do. Instead, I have two Excel workbooks that are programmed for all of the functionality that I need.

The first workbook is for my inventory control. It keeps track of my inventory, syncs with Bricklink (and with BrickOwl once I expand the programming some), parts out sets including setting prices according to a complex statistical model and sets cost per piece based on price of each item in relation to total part-out price of the set, as well as some other housekeeping functions. As of now, when I part out a set and upload it to Bricklink, I can sync my quantities of existing BrickOwl lots, but I cannot mass upload the items that are new lots to BrickOwl. It would be a simple matter to create another XML file of those new lots for upload to BrickOwl including the existing Bricklink lot numbers. That is the functionality that I am looking for.

My second workbook is for order management, but that is a discussion for another post.

Regards,
    Deanna
  • edited December 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Admin it would be a huge help to the community if you built a "wrapper" program on top of the API that allows users to download, change/add/delete, and reupload. CSV would be the most "casual user friendly". The API offers more explicit control, but is complicated for anyone without web programming experience.
  • Hello.
    Let me interrupt you for a while with a simple question.
    I decided to import .bsx file from here:
    http://www.jurgenstechniccorner.com/index.php/instructions/22-ultimate-42009-building-instructions
    But Brickowl told me "Invalid lot id for row 1...74" What am I doing wrong?
    Thank you for your assistance.
  • edited April 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Eh, it's generally best to post a new thread rather than resurrecting one from 2013. :)

The BSX file you downloaded must have LotID information in it, and that's incorrect. You could open it in a text editor and delete all the LotID tags.