Shipping methods questions

edited December 2013 in General Vote Up1Vote Down
I have finally spent some time to revise my shipping methods to be more accurate and ran into a couple things.

I would like to have some methods start showing after a certain weight has been reached. It does not appear I can set the initial band to start at anything but zero. Is there another way to achieve this now? If not can we open up the ability to enter the starting amount?

Example; We have "small packet" that covers up to 2 KG, after that it needs to go as a parcel. I could have both show but it seems to be a bit crowded with methods and there is no benefit to using the more expensive parcel when under 2 kg.

Having the more expensive one show makes me nervous people will think there is something more and expect tracking or more speed if they choose it. I know notes can be made, I would still rather it not show until relevant.

Next I have 10 zones that I have been separating for international locations, to keep track of what is what I have been putting a Z# notation on the method. Just for the sake of neatness and presentation it would be nice to be able to have this identification behind the scenes so I can see it on the shipping method screen and have a consistent method title without these included.

Now that I am passing 50 different methods it would also be nice to be able to sort the list on the shipping method screen by name.

Lastly, regarding domestic shipping regions, is there any way that the API at Canada Post can be used to help with this? Are postal service API's much use in general with the way the system is set up here?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That is A LOT of methods!

For your starting weight issue this is what I did.
    I labeled my method "First Class/Standard Post - USA"
    I place the country in the title so I know this is not first class to Canada, or other international place.

Secondly, I use first class rates when the weights allow me to, then when I hit a certain weight, I use standard post rates. As far as the customer sees, it is just one method (first class/standard)

International rates do not very too greatly (with some exceptions) so I bundle these together. So my title would be something like "Priority - Germany" or for my generalized method for where the countries have very similar shipping rates, "Priority - International"

Placing the country in the title to me does not cause confusion and shows the customer that I know where it is going, using your Z# system seems to me would cause unneeded confusion in the checkout process.

Good luck!
    Chris
  • edited December 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Chris,

Yes, a lot of methods, with each one having 5 or so bands it is really adding up. :)

I hear your point on mixing methods and had considered it. Things are so convoluted with zones and services it gets hard to do even that.

One of my main goals is to reduce the number of questions from customers about delivery times and if the service is tracked. Since the two methods that would be combined have different delivery times it is a bit counter productive to said goals.

Each zone for parcels is divided into counties that have and do not have tracking services. So really there is zone 1 and zone 1b for these. I can't combine the ones that do have tracking as it is quite different for service. Again the ones that do not have tracking have different standards.

Also, when I start entering the dimension limits, these methods need to be separated so they show when something is light enough to go by small packet, but too large in size limits for that, and would need to be sent as a parcel.

Thanks for the thoughts though, I think there are two I can combine with your scenario.

Joe

• One of my main goals is to reduce the number of questions from customers about delivery times and if the service is tracked.
    On that theme, could we have the note we make for the shipping method show up with the info on the store "delivery" page when the shipping method block is active?

• Joe - a suggestion - not sure how it would work in Canada - however in the UK I was able to make shipping really simple, by using a (sort of) average and made price bands on a win some/loose some basis - I have done similar here in the US, altho I have a lot more methods than when I was in UK.

The US is complex with very many bands, however many of the prices are close so I just put them together - and have US, CA, EU and "World" I have another band for priority to the UK because for some reason it's more expensive than everywhere else!

I have nowhere near 50 methods, and most orders are coming in ± 50¢ to $1 - and no complaints about price yet, however I do refund if it's way off (which is rarely).

Graham
  • edited December 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Graham,

the (would seem trying to some) thing is, I am actually trying to be really complex and put in the time, not really trying to find a shortcut. Another 50 is no big deal now that I have the zones sorted. :)

I do it once and it is done until a rate change, as well I can use my charts to save time on quotes, if all goes according to plan there will be less of these too. As far as I can tell the rates here were said to not be going up anytime soon for international stuff, maybe some easy to change envelope prices domestically.

Owl has saved me so much time on order processing as it is, I want to take further advantage of that awesomeness. ;)

Canada has quite large weight bands in the long run, one reason the price difference on the methods I am making can be $10 or more. Lowest cost "tracked packet" is 37.80 to Belgium and 47.54 to Estonia for one example.

Thanks for taking the time, I think others would favor your sort of system and benefit from the ideas.

Joe

• On that theme, could we have the note we make for the shipping method show up with the info on the store "delivery" page when the shipping method block is active?

@Admin

I thought the note given for the shipping method is seen by the customer at some point. Testing this today, after a number of "when will this get here" questions, I can't see where it is shown.

Is my memory wrong that it was shown at checkout, or is it somewhere else I can't find this morning?

• @walstib I've added the note to that delivery page. The note is shown when the customer is on the checkout page, when they are choosing between shipping methods.
  • Thank you, appreciated!

I see the note now, all I had to do was choose an option instead of just look at the choices. :)