Specifying shipping methods for small but expensive sets

I have some small but expensive sets in my inventory. The way I have things configured now, due to the light weight of these sets, BO is choosing USPS First Class shipping. I would really want to ship these by USPS Priority and include insurance. Is there a way to force a particular shipping method on an item and/or require insurance?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Set each relevant lot in your inventory to 'force quote'. Perhaps a public note advising of the extra shipping would be advisable also.
  • Thanks Hoddie. That sounds like a workable possibility. I still would like some sort of solution that would allow automatic checkout. I thought about manually increasing the weight to force the sets into another shipping method, but I am not sure if that would be an acceptable practice. I would much rather have a check box that would override the automatically selected shipping method and place it in a category of my choosing. I would still love to hear if anyone else has a way that they deal with this issue.
  • If your concern is regarding the value of the item, you can set value limits on your shippings methods to restrict them to certain value orders.
  • Thanks Lawrence. I see that setting now. I will play around with it to see if it solves my issue. I also see that there is a Dimension Limit restriction as well. I think between the two I can find something that will work for me. If any sellers out there have some experience with these setting and have values that work well for you, I would be glad to hear about it. Thanks.
  • Along this vein, maybe I am missing something... right now, for all instruction books, I have a public note that says to choose "request a quote" so I can quote them a media mail rate if they're not in a hurry. But it would be nice if you can assign a shipping method (i.e., media mail, or in @nologo's case above, priority mail) by the major product types, e.g., parts, sets, minifigures, instructions...

Am I being blond and haven't noticed a way to do this before (VERY possible, lol), or is this not a current function? (and if not, it'd be a nice one to consider)
  • The same functionality would also be useful for small sets without a box. The box dimensions are used for shipping method calculations but without a box, a lot of the small sets can be "flat packed" in a mailbox parcel.

Custom dimensions (next to custom weight) would also be a solution to this I guess.