Store minimums

Why can't we set both a minimum lot average and/or minimum purchase amount?

We have tried to be reasonable and keep these to a minimum, but then we found that our buyer's would buy 1 item at $0.38 which would then cost us money due to PayPal fees.

So we said fine, we will impose a minimum lot average of $0.50. But many buyer's can't seem to do basic math and BO warns against its use: "Warning: This does not provide a good customer experience and should only rarely be used. A minimum lot average can be used instead of a minimum order to limit customers to purchasing a minimum amount of each lot, averaged across the order." So sure enough we get someone who placed an order (@10 pm on a Friday night) and then demanded a refund for half of the items saying they didn't understand the lot minimum and they really didn't need most of those parts and if we didn't refund them they would leave us negative feedback and file a complaint through PayPal and we had poor customer service because we hadn't answered him by 6 am on Sunday. So, okay, that didn't work so we set a minimum purchase amount.....

Now we have an order for 78... (SEVENTY-EIGHT) lots for LESS THAN $15.00. My team and I can effectively pull 200 lots per day. So that means we will spend 1/2 a work day (3 hours) on 1 order. The majority of these parts are from our consignment client so after we have paid for the parts, PayPal, and BO we will have made $3.28. (I'm not even including the overhead of paying an employee.) That works out to be $1.09 PER HOUR.

For the most part our buyer's here on BO are some of the nicest, most generous people I have encountered in the LEGO world. They have come back over and over again to buy from us. When we were closed for an extended period in March and April we actually received emails asking if we were okay and if we would be able to open again soon. We want to keep selling on this platform, but orders like this one will force us out of business. I'm really not trying to be greedy, I'm just trying to cover my costs.

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I assume you have a Paypal Micropayment account for small orders?
  • Not meaning to sound rude here or anything, but perhaps try to find a more efficient way to pick orders? An 80 lot order usually takes me about 45 min. to an hour to do; and i don't feel like I'm that fast compared to others here. I'm currently re-doing our organization in hopes of increasing to
    130-150 lots an hour.

We get orders like that too, and they are a pain and feel like a waste of time. But on the other hand, we get people who buy $50 worth of pieces in only a couple lots(or even pieces) so it all balances out.
  • No. If your average sale is over $14 it costs you more money to use micro than not.
  • Rather than comment on lot averages, etc., as that's an opinion I've shared under other threads (and cheerfully respect every store's right to do business in whatever way works best for them! <s>), I was saddened to read, "...[customer who ordered late Friday night] then demanded a refund for half of the items saying they didn't understand the lot minimum and they really didn't need most of those parts and if we didn't refund them they would leave us negative feedback and file a complaint through PayPal and we had poor customer service because we hadn't answered him by 6 am on Sunday."

The above is a customer you should consider submitting an issue report against - that sounds like feedback blackmail as well as an abuse of PayPal's terms, to me. My humble opinion...

Does the system even let someone checkout their cart that doesn't meet a store's lot limits or minimums? Based on using the wishlist cart quite a bit recently, it's certainly accounting for those kinds of limits in the totals, etc.
  • No worries @firestar246 , I realize we are a bit slower than some folks at pulling and packing orders. Our inventory is spread out over 4 rooms and on 2 floors in my house. We have grouped it as effeciently as we can, but we are limited due to space constraints. Trust me, if I could cram it all into 1 big space I would, but my husband refuses to give up the basement.

Every order is pulled by 1 person and then a second person verifies the count of each lot as they bag it. So our time includes for verification, packing, putting the order into mailers/boxes, and printing postage. Again, we recognize that we are not the fastest at order fulfillment, but this is the system that works for us and the space we have to work with.
  • @Calibrick we did email Lawrence about the buyer after we realized he had sent us 4 or 5 emails in less than 48 hours, but by the time Lawrence had looked at the issue we had made the guy happy. So we simply filled the order and banned him from our store.
  • @Wildbricks You should be using both, and set your store to direct small orders to micropayments, and larger ones to your standard account. Small orders should only be costing you 10 to15 cents in PP fees.
  • @Wild Bricks you can setup 2 paypal accounts, one for micro payments (<$12) and one for regular payments.
  • @Wild Bricks I understand. I used to have Lego pieces in the house everywhere too until we moved and got a big shop. Now it's spread everywhere in both the shop and house. :D Just do the best you can. :)
  • I tried to open a 2nd paypal account last summer and was told that I couldn't. I'll try looking into it again.
  • For my store , i invest heavily in small containers and counting scale and quantity of 100 for small items. I'm in a really nice space of work and my average is 1 Lot by minute. Just think about it, counting, bagging every lot that can take more then a minute. I don't see how i can spend my day doing orders faster then that. There is always someone who will say they can make 100 lot in a hour and i think its BS. I was happy to see BL add the minimum lot combine with minimum order.
    My setup on the other site is 1 lot=1$ and $20 minimum order and its doing well.

I think its time for BO to do the same. A $5 order for 5 lot is more annoying then anything else.
    That's also why i remove Rebrickable link to my store. Too many $5-8 orders that only make your day longer. How hard it must be to put a & fonction at time of checkout for a minimum lot average and a minimum $ amount. Please Lawrence i think its time.
  • Please send those $5 for 5 lot orders to me, a dollar a lot is a very nice average if you ask me :)
    I get many small orders and I'm fine with that. Few years back I was looking for a few small parts and was glad there were stores where I could just by a few pieces and not add some parts that I did not need just to be able to order.
    And yes, my shipping prices have some cost in them for payment fees and packaging.
    And we don't look at every single order to closely in terms of hourly wages, looking at the big picture, we are doing rather nice :)

Having said that, it is strange that the limits can be set, but do not function together.

As far as I know, the micro payment option can be set up in the current PayPal account, but it is not available for every country and from what I can tell you need to contact PP.
  • @bricktoys4boys I can just about do 100 lots in an hour.If you have the space to organize thoroughly it's very possible. Someone working from inside their home would have a much harder time reaching that. I have a large building with shelving units and containers. Containers are marked very clearly and I know where everything is. Takes me probably 30-45 sec. to get a lot done.
  • @Wild Bricks
    I’ve recently gone to minimum lot average, I said I never would, but I too couldn’t keep up. BL you can have both lot average and minimum order.
    As I couldn’t figure out micropayments, I have added cash and money order payments for low value orders.

As far as a threat from a buyer to leave a negative like that, really you have no option, refund them and block them. You can’t name them here to warn others. But there is a thread dedicated to these sites on the brick picker forum.
  • I've done it before, and I'm going to make the argument again.

The reason why BrickOwl is so appealing to new people on the buyers side, is the lack of complicated structures like BrickLink has. As a buyer you first and foremost don't have to wait for invoices to be sent. As a buyer you don't have to think and tinker around adding parts you don't want or need to meet a lot overage, you won't be 'unable' to buy because for some reason the part you want is the last part in inventory and there is no way to match the lot average except by adding a random other part in large volume you don't need. As a buyer you don't have to be afraid for added costs or hidden fees at the end of the transaction. What you see is what you get.

We as sellers are here to serve buyers. We have to make our business work and serve those buyers to the best way possible. It is not a favor we do to customers, it is our business. If our business can't be made viable without chasing customers away from the platform as a whole, we are doing something seriously wrong. Are our prices too low? Do we take too long order picking? Do we charge too little for shipping smaller orders? Do we focus on prices instead of breadth/depth of inventory? Do we spend too much on packaging material? You name it, anything that influences your pricing and costing structure should be looked at if you want to run a business properly.

Not saying that we are all doing it wrong, but we really have to turn it around. We want the customer, we want to sell parts, we want to make some extra money. And the only way to do that is to have happy customers, enjoying the platform, will come back to BrickOwl, and preferably will come back to your/our store. The platform needs to appeal to them first, and to us second.
  • @Geert Middelman Could not have said it better myself. Wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said
  • "The platform needs to appeal to them first, and to us second."

YES! Yes yes yes yes yes, that so perfectly captures my personal business worldview. :-) It's a big chunk of why I opened here and closed my BL account in the first place - customer first ('cause without them... what's the point? <s>).

I would only add though, I don't mean to judge any other seller's approach - that's just not my place. So long as the general platform is kept simple from a customer POV, then it's all good in my book. :-)

And I'll also very cheerfully take any and all of those 100-lot $10 orders - you charge through them, and get them done, only to find those awesome folks return over and over and over again with MUCH bigger $$ orders and smaller lot counts. I'm here to sell and make $$ for me (we all know our LEGO love isn't cheap! <s>) and my charity (insert CCFA plug here). :-)
  • EU law allows you to return items for a full refund in any case, so you could meet an EU store's lot average and minimum purchase requirements by buying an expensive but lightweight piece, then return it for a refund. I don't recommend it, as it could result in a legal battle where the store doesn't return your cash in full out of some belief they have a right to charge a restocking fee, or re-visit the prices they charged for the rest of the order, but there are ways and means to circumvent such rules which in essence make them legally useless. The same isn't true in the US (and probably many other places) where re-stocking fees are still legal.
  • Hoddie, you can't just return only the one item, only if buyer and seller agree to that. Standard is an all or nothing thing. When the EU buyer want's to cancel the order from the EU seller he can be held to ship back the whole order, not just some parts of that order.
    And this only applies when buyer and seller are EU based.

And last time I read (6 months ago I think), a restocking fee is legal, as long as you have it stated in your ToS and should be a reasonable amount.

Same goes for return shipping cost, you have to have that stated in your ToS, otherwise the return cost are for the seller to pay. I know a lot of big companies offer free return, but there is a tendency to stop with that, there is no law that they have to refund those cost.
  • I'm going to have to check your first point because I believe a consumer can return part of an order if the items were sold separately. I used to work with EU consumer laws intimately but not for a few years, so you may be correct.

Retailers can make a deduction from the refund if they believe the value has been affected because the consumer handled the product more than was necessary - which is loosely defined as being more than they would have been allowed to handle the product in a store. In terms of a Lego set, you wouldn't open one in a store, so you shouldn't expect to be able to open one at home and then expect a full refund. HOWEVER, and this is where most BO sellers will lose every time, retailers are not allowed to make any deduction for diminishing the value of the goods if they have not provided consumers with the information about their right to cancel. No other deductions, such as cancellation or restocking fees, can be made when a consumer exercises their legal right to cancel.

As you say, return shipping costs are down to the seller unless they explicitly say that the buyer must pay.

In many cases members states included additional protections beyond those required by EU law. For example, in the UK:

The cooling-off period increases from 14 days to 1 year and 14 days if the retailer doesn't meet all their legal obligations. It can be something as simple as failing to display the business address.

It’s also illegal to display any notice that deliberately misleads consumers or deceives them about their rights, e.g. a statement that says you don’t accept returns or offer refunds. This is actually a criminal offence and could result in a criminal record!

An online retailer must have a complaint-handling policy, and as part of EU law, must include a link to the European Online Dispute Resolution platform (this is something BO could help with by default).
  • I adjust the weight so that there is a limit to what people can buy without getting a quote and I add the appropriate amount to correctly represent the value of each piece . I have started to increase my prices where I have lots listed so that people cant buy 100 items at 0.01p - if I feel the buyer is being really cheeky I just put in a huge quote for the postage - that is fair in my opinion - and if the want the items they are prepared to pay it and really we arent selling items at 0.01 and I do wish the overall price of items would go up to be a more true value.
  • The EU law for returns has its exceptions. One of them is Personalized / Customized products, such as a personalized collection of parts. On that exception, LEGO accepts returns of Sets, but doesn't accept returns of Pick A Brick nor Bricks And Pieces orders.
  • @ForeverSorting, a BO order would not constitute a personalised collection of parts. Unless 20 books from Amazon constitutes a personalised collection of books. The size of the product being sold doesn't come in to it.

Lego may say they don't accept returns of PAB or BAP but that doesn't make it legal. In fact, their T&Cs seem to suggest they can now be returned:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/page/terms-and-conditions

Lego used to prohibit Lego Education stockists from selling to customers outside their designated region. They were expected to refer you to your local stockist. When one of them attempted to do this I challenged them on the basis that a refusal to sell to me constituted discrimination based on the secondary characteristic of country of residence. They agreed to speak to Lego and a few days later I was allowed to make a purchase. I've since bought from stockists all over Europe, so clearly the policy changed.
  • Again this conversation is derailed ,Post slide on something else.