Recommended software for syncing BrickLink to BrickOwl

Hello! We have a store on BrickLink & have recently opened a template store in BrickOwl. What is the best software (i.e., user friendly, least potential errors) to use to transfer our BL store over and sync both stores afterwards? While BrickSync is free, we don't mind paying for BrickPacker if it turns out to be easier and more accurate. Also, are there other syncing tools besides these two? Thanks for your recommendations! We look forward to being a part of the BrickOwl community!

Comments

• 48 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interested to se ethe discussion here. Personally I use BrickSync but am interested to hear what BrickPacker is like.
  • Personally i use Bricksync on my computer
  • Does brickpacker even work anymore? Or maybe you mean the new software that's going around. I remember using brickpacker but that was 5 years ago
  • We use Brick Packer and it is excellent as well. I believe the person who created it sells on here and on the other site. There is a great interview with I'm last week on one of the YouTube discussions
  • @Brikomania - Yes, BrickPacker the new software. @Bricks_nw_uk - I did see an interview with BP on YouTube that was informative. Thanks for everyone’s input. I hope we get more discussion, as I am waiting to make a decision on transition software to populate our BO store & open! I have read on some of the Forums that a software by Brick Freedom @BrickFreedom is in the works as well. Lots of folks have viewed this post without commenting, so I think others are probably interested as well in what third-party software is out there & working well these days.
  • I also use BrickPacker, though I wouldn't class it as new software as have been using it for some time. Once set up, it is easy enough to use. No problems at all and quick response times with any queries.
  • BrickSync, I left my store running last year when I went on vacation for a week because I knew it would keep my stock correct, 1.5m and 10K lots back then.
  • Ok, I've been following this thread because I'd like to stop using bricksync if a better option is available. Those that use brickpacker, could you explain what this paragraph means that's on their site?

In order for the sync to work properly you need to upload inventory to both sites and pair up inventory using the menu on the right. This pairing needs to be done every time you create new lots that are loaded on both sites and need to be synced.

Does that mean if I'm listing 500 red 2x2 bricks for example, I have to list it on both stores, not just one?
  • Please note that BrickPacker only syncs once every 15 minutes. This will result in double sold lots, even with inventories smaller than 100k. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Firestar246 - I add new lots in Brick Owl and BrickPacker updates Bricklink when I go through the syncing process. So just to be clear you only need to add to one site. 🙂
  • So to be clear, does BrickPacker automatically update BL & BO every 15 minutes according to what sells, and then if you add new inventory under one or the other you have to manually request to sync them?
  • As the owner and admin of BrickPacker I guess I should chime in. The software is not new and was created shortly after Brick Owl was created, initially for my own use but then it was modified to allow other sellers to also use it. Currently the only thing done fully automatic is that orders are synced every 15 minutes. When inventory is added or you make changes to your inventory you would normally do that in one store and then use BrickPacker to push it to the other store. In this way the user is full in control of their inventory but orders are adjusted automatically in the other store.
  • You will also receive an email each time you receive an order with confirmation that the sync of that order has occured.
  • Thanks @SuperBrick for jumping in to answer our BrickPacker questions! Also, thanks to all users for your experience & input. Here’s another question: I have reserve inventory in a BL Stockroom A. Will BrickPacker sync these stockroom items with a BO Stockroom (both initially when I sync our store from BL to BO AND as I do routine maintenance shifting from stockroom to active stock in BL and manually pushing it to BO)?
  • At the moment Bricksync is working fine, however unless “someone” picks it up at some time it will become obsolete. I really like having full control of my inventory with a local master inventory on a pc, and not being dependent on a 3rd party

Right in the beginning I tried to use brickpacker, but ended up giving up with frustration. I don’t recall what the issue(s) were.

@SuperBrick would you share the link, I may try again. Also do you have instructions/info on operation?
    Also I don’t recall if this was cloud based, or where the master inventory is stored?

Thanks
  • @toybrickpalace BrickPacker will only compare and upload inventory to the other site that is actively for sale. So Stockroom items would not be uploaded to Brick Owl, or items on Brick Owl that are not listed for Sale would not be pushed to BrickLink. When you move an item out of the stockroom you would then need to push it to Brick Owl if you want to sell it on both sites.

@Graham You were very early on at which time the setup process was very different and much more complicated. BrickPacker does not keep a master inventory or provide the ability to modify inventory, you would keep your master inventory on either BrickLink or Brick Owl whichever site you prefer (or use any other software you would like). The site can be found at: https://brickpacker.com/ .
  • @SuperBrick
    Thanks for reply.
    You may well see me return in the future. I definitely prefer having full control of my inventory rather than in the cloud, hosted on somebodies website.
  • @SuperBrick, thanks so much for chiming in! Do you ever consider increasing the frequency to check and update on orders? Even while I currently use Bricksync with a 2 minute frequency, it happens once or twice a year that I sell parts on Bricklink and Brickowl at the same time. The 15 min frequency is a real dealbreaker for bigger stores, or stores that run on a high rotation of parts.
  • To get around the BryckSync "lag" with checking, I have a trigger set up on incoming emails. If it detects a new order confirmation it will force a check - this way, our "lag" is down to the time it takes for the email to come in instead of a fixed time.

Niek.
  • @qwertyboy That is an awesome workaround! I was just searching to see if anyone else was having issues with double sales due to the BrickSync 5 minute interval as I've witnessed it a few times in the past week and was looking for a solution and just learning about the 15 minute lag for Packer put it out of any future contention unfortunately.

I've set the BrickSync config to run every 180 seconds but it didn't still seem to run at that interval and was stuck at the default of 300 seconds, a perfect time for most stores with less than 5000 lots or 500K parts but we needed a faster refresh due to size. Then I discovered the autocheck command and it seems to be running at the correct interval of 180. I've been monitoring the traffic usage and we are staying under the max usage even with the COVID buying influx.

Any chance of sharing how you set up that trigger?

- Big B
  • @BigBBricks (warning - lots of techie-techie gobbledygook)

We run BrickSync on a Linux server in a "screen" session. This allows you to use scripts to fire off commands to BrickSync ("expect" would probably be the easiest to use for that).
    We have all emails for our store forwarded to the same Linux machine. With "procmail" we determine if an email is an order confirmation, and that will trigger a command sent to BrickSync.

Slightly related, with that "screen" setup, it is easy to set up a local web page to control BrickSync with a simple "stop" / "start" button (matching "blmaster on" / "blmaster off") like in attached pic.

Niek.
  • @qwertyboy Thanks for the knowledge, I'll have to remember this when I get my son's Linux system up and running and he bores of it in a few months. The web page is a genius addon.

Check out my plea to Brickadoon re BrickSync support on the Coral Issues thread, I think it would interest you as well, unless you are self supporting BSync in which case the plea goes out to you as well. :)
  • @BigBBricks Uhmmm ... when the "coral" issue came up, I think I was actually the first to point out how to fix it in BrickSync (see https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/comment/39669 ). But I run a fairly customized setup, so any binaries produced by me would be useless for others (let alone a Windows port).
    So yup, I am pretty much self supporting with BrickSync. :p

Niek.
  • @qwertyboy I do remember you chiming in with the coral fix, thanks again. I don't sell it a lot but the amount of screen space being taken each time it cycled was crazy annoying.

Must be nice :wink: I'm in a position that if anything goes wrong with BS or BL code, and I have to shut down BO. I just saw that the newest BS competitor only syncs every 15 minutes so that would only cause aggravation over a very short time and not being in control of my keys is too much of a risk for me to take. Finger crossed Brickadoon takes this up, I don't want to learn to code at my age just to keep both stores up and running :weary: .
  • @BigBBricks Aside from the polling frequency, the only two structural issues I have seen:

- Hard-coded color tables. It should be fairly easy to change over from a hard-coded setup to either read in the table from a config file (like BS does for security keys etc), or even read it from a hosted version (and put the URL for that in the config file as well, so people can choose to trust/use the color table hosted by someone, or use a local version of the color table).
    That way, when a new color comes around, it is simply a matter of updating your local table, or restart BS to load an updated color table hosted by someone else.

- BL or BO changing its IP address. This causes BS to fail. The source code determines both IPs at startup - again a fairly straightforward fix would be to have it do an IP lookup when it sees it cannot reach either site, and check to see if it is changed (if IP changed, continue with the new IP, if it is still the same, continue with the current complaining that there is an issue). I believe I have this one already in my version, I'd have to check.

Niek.
  • Just checked - I took the lazy way out in regards, to BL/BO IP changes - I just restart BrickSync every night. :o
    Anyhoo, said change should not be very involved.

Niek.
  • Great discussions! @BigBBricks - You said you are under your traffic usage max. What does this mean? The store I am wanting to populate on BO is a little over the 5,000 lots & and a little under the 100,000 parts. I am looking for something as a non-techie to just run and work. :) BrickSync seems intimidating (and easy to mess up). Can any of you recommend any good resources for instructions on BS for the novice? Sounds like you have your system running smoothly @qwertyboy!
  • From comments on a Facebook group (& here), it seems like BrickPacker is running smoothly for those using it. I know @SuperBrick started this initially for himself and has a "real job" :) . Is there any possibility that sync timing issues could be addressed in the future for those concerned? Currently, it seems very unlikely our store would sell the same part on two different sites with a 15-minute window. I am not sure I would have time to pull & pack orders if they were coming in that fast! :) I note many stores have a disclaimer on their Home Page to cover this occurrence.
  • @toybrickpalace BS is as hands free and non-techie as it gets. Once you figure out where to access your individual keys on BO and BL, instructions included with BS docs, you edit a text file with a .conf extension to add your keys to the predefined fields in the file, instructions also included with BS docs. D-click the executable file, recommend setting it to boot automatically with Windows, and sync your BL to BO, as before instructions included. It is currently free but I am avidly trying to find a paid support team since it is the standard the majority to sync'd stores rely upon.

In a perfect world, BO would pick up support for BS and BL would pick up support for the other required tool, BrickStock, but we are left in the wind. If it weren't for the support of a few users, I would have to close my BO store due to lack of adequate sync software for my needs.
  • As for the double selling of parts, it has only started happening recently with the influx of orders due to COVID SAH orders. I'm willing to bet that if there was an option for lot average AND minimum order amount this would go away and orders would be more controllable in large family-run, non-employee stores, like mine. We added a $20 min order along with the $1 lot average that had been in effect over on BL and it slowed the influx of orders we were getting. I just wish I had the option here for both. I'd much rather have fewer orders and a faster ship time due to my pride in customer service and quickly expediting orders. Not complaining really but four months of 16+ hours a day, every day, just to keep within 2-5 business days has been plenty for this SAHD and closing stores plays with algorithms that I'd like to avoid.
  • Thanks @BigBBricks for your input! Good info on closing stores. Is the traffic usage maximum you mentioned related to BO or BrickSync?
  • I have tweaked my own BrickSync so that it attempts to resolve (and, if successful, correct) the IP addresses for BL/BO before each check. It reports the IP addresses in the on-screen log. This might be a bit overkill (it does that resolve every 600 seconds by default), but network traffic for that is minimal. This should fix issues with IP address changes at BL/BO.

It only takes some additional code in bscheck.c - @brickadoon : if you like I can put that file up for download. It is against source code version 1.7.1.

I also added 2 new commands to my BS for testing purposes: "checkresolve" reports back the current IP addresses BS has in memory, and "fakeresolve" intentionally mangles these IP addresses (so I can check to see if the IPs are actually fixed at next order check. This takes a few extra lines in bricksyncinput.c.

Niek.
  • @toybrickpalace both BO and BL have API usage maximums.

@qwertyboy @brickadoon have you noticed that BS only refers to the time in the conf file for fetch times after the autocheck command has been issued or is this just me?
  • Me - no. With the forced order fetch when an order confirmation email comes in, there was no need for me to tinker with fetch times.
    But you say "... after the autocheck command has been issued ..." - are you saying your BS doesn't autocheck until you type the "autocheck" command? If so, there is a directive "autocheck = 1;" in the conf file that should do that at startup.

Niek.
  • No, it begins checking with an interval of 300 seconds, I have it for a different time in the conf and it only follow those rules if I run the 'autocheck on', which is set to = 1 in the conf as well.
  • @Geert Middelman Changing the 15 minute interval would definitely be possible but that would introduce a lot of overhead which is not needed for most stores. For that reason it should be done on a store by store basis which requires changes to the setup to enable that. I am currently working on moving the service over to a more powerful server which would be better able to deal with the load. While I am doing this I am taking the opportunity to make changes that I am not able to make on the active server and I will consider this idea. Thanks
  • I've just tried out brickpacker but am receiving an "error downloading bricklink inventory". It's only grabbing about half of my bricklink inventory while getting everything of my brickowl. Does anyone who is using brickpacker know what might be up?
  • I have been in contact with firestar and the issue has been resolved.
  • @SuperBrick , yes it has, it was an error that was mostly on my part. For anyone who's reading this and interested in Brickpacker, it works great and you get excellent customer service. :smile:
  • I would definitely recommend BrickPacker. I haven't had any items duplicated in orders, as yet. I do have a note in the stores informing buyers I sell on multiple sites and if this ever were to happen I would source the part(s) for them. I do this anyway if I am ever out of stock of a part so it's never been a problem for me. I am however, a relatively small store so understand how other sellers may want that reassurance of a more frequent interval.
  • I noticed in another post that @BrickFreedom 's software is now available. I wanted to post that info here as well since this post has received quite a few views.

https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/comment/42929

We are still researching the best option for our store and thank all that have responded thus far! We welcome your reviews of what you are currently using!
  • Is there still a problem with BrickSync importing Stockroom items from BrickLink as active items into Brick Owl?
  • Stockroom items are hidden from the synchronisation
  • Are you sure about that? As far as I know stockroom items are synced, but on BO are marked as not for sale. When you don't an item syncing then put a ~ in the comment or remark on BL
  • From the Bricksync FAQ http://www.bricksync.net/guidefaq.html

Does BrickSync synchronize what's in the BrickLink stockrooms?

No, BrickSync does not see or synchronize the content of the BrickLink stockrooms
  • Thank you @paulvdb for the FAQ link!
  • I had the line right above the quoted one in mind:
    How can I make some items available only on BrickOwl or BrickLink?
    You need to tag these items: insert the ~ character anywhere in the remarks (private notes) of these items, and BrickSync won't see them.

So it doesn't sync the stockrooms, but if you put an item in stockroom on BL, the item on BO will be set tot not for sale :)