COVID 19 where you are?

Totally unconnected with LEGO.
Seeing as we are an international market place, I’m just curious how things are everywhere else?
Anyone?

I’ll start... so we are located in a small rural community and really not much changed, the lockdown only impacted (badly) local restaurants everything else was open. In the beginning I was one of two or three wearing masks, now it seems most folks are now masked... I got tested as a precaution due to a cold earlier in the year. Negative. Which is good!

Now there is talk of another lockdown 😟

Did y’all’s government (outside USA) throw cash at y’all too? “Economic recovery payment” they called it... trillions of new debt that our kids and their kids will bear the burden of

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm in the UK, it 'feels' like everything is getting back to normal but I really don't think a lot of people see what is around the corner. I've always had an awareness of the bigger picture and I think financially the UK (well the world) is in for a very rough ride. The government has given financial support in many different ways but of course that is only short lived. I honestly see a new financial paradigm coming in, namly digital (blockchain or otherwise) but government controlled and regulated. I think your US Dollar will start to lose it's status as world currency too.

A place city called Leicester here has just had to go into lockdown again as cases have been ramping up there, not good for them. I guess this will be the way for the time being. Pubs here are also due to open on Saturday, I really hope people don't go mad and get drunk and stupid, I fear that is what will happen though.

Overall we are getting on with things the best we can like all other nations of the world. Tough times, the world has been through tough times before and pulls though, sadely with lots of casualties. I just hope that the human race learns a lot from this, there is definately the oportunity to do so. We will see.
  • Living in Missouri, USA. For about the entire month of May we had a stay-at-home order. Didn't really bother me much since I work from home. Now besides the occasional lack of a random food (one week bread, the next meat, you never know); everything is just about back to normal. I barely see anyone wearing a mask.
  • Yeah. The food thing is/was weird.
    Hand sanitizer and other anti bacterial products made sense.
    Then toilet and kitchen paper???
    Then it was eggs all gone, then meat.
    After about a month it was canned and dried goods, yeast and powder milk.

Now as you say it’s random things, no bicycles or freezers anywhere.

Thing about masks is if they aren’t N95 or better, pretty much pointless and most everyone’s wearing scarfs, bandannas and surgical masks!

... life goes on😷
  • For what it's worth, a US military service put out an instruction to all service members, civil servants, and contractors late last week requiring written confirmation that each had read it (a costly proposition in an of itself), which essentially said to continue to shelter in place except for emergencies/essential needs (e.g., groceries, medical).

I haven't seen anything like that happen in 30 years. And case counts are rising almost nationwide, sadly, some the worst they have yet - the only saving grace seems to be more at-risk folks are wisely staying home, so the tragic death count is rising more slowly right now (thank goodness!). It's still increasing thousands a day though.

Too many people continue to not take this seriously, absolutely nothing has changed since Jan-March. Nada.

In my respectful opinion, if **everyone** had practiced common sense and wore a mask when (in our case) the CDC and NIH started recommending them for the general population (far too late, I know - but I get it, they wanted to save the panic buys for emergency services, which are still understocked in too many facilities) - and practiced good handwashing regularly - the US would likely be fully or near-fully open by now with significantly decreased risk and case counts. And deaths.

Kinda sucks being #1 in the world in this situation. :-(

It is strange to see the dichotomy of work being so (fantastically, I'm very very happy they are doing this frankly) strict, yet you see a bunch of maskless young people at bars or beaches who seem to think they are immortal (or not considering asymptomatic transmission to another person - who passes it to another - who then unwittingly and unknowingly passes it to a beloved family member or even a child.

I just don't get it. I really don't.

Many asian countries readily adapted to mask-wearing, as that's really common practice during flu and cold season anywhere due to such crowded conditions in the larger cities, at least I think (e.g., Tokyo). Are other countries struggling to adapt to mask wearing as much as my country in general (US) is?
  • US citizen here. I don't care what the government says, I'm not going anywhere with crowds of people in close proximity until a vaccine is administered. Time and again, my fellow citizens have proven themselves more than willing to act in their own short-term selfish desires rather than condescend to stoop to acts of consideration for other people (wearing masks protects others from getting YOUR germs, folks, not the other way around!). So, no concerts, sporting events, dine-in restaurants, amusement parks, waterparks, airplane trips, etc. for us for the foreseeable future. It stinks to cancel our planned Christmas holidays with my family on the west coast this winter, but why subject ourselves (and them) to the virus that the plane's other passengers will most assuredly carry on with them and pass to us just because their political views don't agree with basic infectious disease science?

Rant over, back to building my Classic Space base MOC...
  • Ooooo Classic Space, I love it, @Oldfan! :-)

I'm actually very high risk (all those auto-immune diseases of mine, sigh), so I haven't left the house since late January, and my husband only goes out for the critical things (e.g., groceries occasionally), though we're pretty stocked up.

Same as you, staying home basically until there's a vaccine. Too many of our fellow citizens (at least here in a big city, San Diego) simply aren't demonstrating the ability to think beyond the very minor inconvenience of a mask. My heart goes out to those who truly cannot even where a mask (i.e., the minority that have sincere breathing issues with them, etc.) - they're super-trapped at home.

I remain very grateful and recognize how fortunate we are to have USPS pickup, next day deliveries from major services, etc., where we are. Plus the ability to telecommute - though to be honest, we both telecommuted full-time years pre-COVID, but I'm super happy the rest of my team gets to now, too.
  • Just to introduce some humor for all of us responsible folk:
    One of ours said recently, “Staying home with young kids is my ‘Super Power’.”
    Another did the weekly run to the grocery and found a 2-for-1 sale on red wine half boxes- Gets to the register and the cashier says, “There’s a limit of one.”
    Couple of months ago we finally found a 4-pack of toilet paper. It was a severely off-brand of non-pilling 1-Ply. Didn’t know how much it cut down on dust in a bathroom...Now can’t find it again.🙁
  • Lol re the 2 for 1 sale, that's too funny!
  • @ Calibrick - I'm stuck in too, waiting for hospital referals for suspected auto immune condition. Originally mid december I was working from home on some drawings of a project I'd recently finished in Leicester but that developed into working from home due to health reasons in January and then not working since April ( I work for myself ) I'm hoping to get started working again very soon from home and then in August back in the real world.

I get irritated by people bending the rules or downright breaking them as each one of them is helping to push back my hospital appointments.

One good thing thats come of my time off from my normal job is that I finally managed to sort and catologue lots of used lego and I reopened my store a few weeks ago with over 100,000 parts.
  • Anyone from Italy, Spain and other European countries? Asia pacific? Elsewhere?
    Really interested in first hand experiences as I do not trust ANY news source to be completely objective.

One of our daughters is high risk, accordingly we went into lockdown mode mid March. Masks, hand sanitizer and changed cloths before entering the house, nothing came in the house before being treated with Everclear even down to wiping or spraying down each potato.
    I think my wife realized living with a prepper minded person wasn’t so bad after all :) we had everything we needed in stock, before the panic

Personally I really slacked off after getting tested, I think it’s time to go back to what we were doing, both girls at scouts camp right now, I know they are taking full precautions there.
    Actually it’s kinda funny. They are in an all girl troop in the Boy Scouts- no boys allowed!
  • @graham, there's an all girl troop in the boy scouts? That is ironic, lolol. I am sorry to hear one of your daughters is high risk, but it sounds like she has smart, forward-thinking parents looking out for her! While I wouldn't call us preppers, my husband and I have both believed in common sense preparations since we're in earthquake country, which has certainly paid off during all of this. I just wish I could convince my daughter and her husband to prepare much more - a few days of food, a case of water, and a box of band-aids pretty much just readies you for the power being out for a day and little else, sigh.

@paul'sbricks, I completely understand how much it sucks having to slip things back medically - I've had to push back two invasive test procedures twice now, and just had to push them back again as the risk isn't worth the data gain right this moment (though our state hasn't gone back to essential surgeries only, I see that coming soon if things don't start declining pretty quick). But at least with me, we already know what's wrong, just checking to see how much damage there is at this point (we do them every few years) - for you, I can't imagine having to just wait without knowing! That completely sucks.

STAY STRONG!!! You'll be in my thoughts, Paul, as will your daughter, Graham.
  • @ Calibrick thanks for your words... had a suprisingly good day today, 1st day back at my normal work, 2 appointment letters for August and September and 2 big boxes of used lego ready to clean, sort and inventory once its had a good few days in quarantine in the garage
  • That's GREAT news, @paul'sbricks, I'm so glad to hear that!!
  • London calling.

I don't work so I'm at home a lot anyway but I didn't realise how much 'popping-out' I actually do. And how much I'd miss it. Hubby is an engineer in a central London hotel and has had to keep going into work all the way through. The kids have been off school for 15 weeks now. Our eldest is Year 11, so as soon as they confirmed there would be no exams this year he finished school, that was March 19th, the day before the schools closed for lockdown. Our youngest is Year 10, they've been prioritised for going back to school because they have exams next year so he's been going into school 1 day a week for the past three weeks. What schools can offer at the moment is different for each school, depending on their layout, size of classrooms etc, so far they've had to keep to the 2 metre distancing.

We haven't been out much really, a few walks around the local streets for the exercise. I have to drive to the Post Office, until very recently there's been very little local traffic, more people walking than driving, but there was definitely more cars around this week. We live near to a major road into London, that hasn't had the levels of rush-hour traffic that it normally would but at other times you wouldn't notice any difference.

We've had the beach thing here, we had hot weather at the same time restrictions were originally eased allowing people to go further afield. It's not the bit on the beach that would worry me, I think groups on a beach would tend have a distance around them anyway, and I think the media played it up, used photos that made it look worse than it was. But people don't stay on their own bit on the beach, there's an awful lot of moving around that goes on, even just getting there and leaving again. I've seen people not bother with social distancing walking down a nearly empty street so I'd bet a lot of money that there was an awful lot of non-distancing(?) going on. In fact, I'd say if you were serious about about distancing you wouldn't have gone in the first place, or would at least have seen what it was like when you got there and gone straight home again. I don't understand the need to take that risk to go to the beach. Or to the shops actually, massive queues to get into Primark? Having said that we did sit in the queue for McDonalds drive-thru for an hour when they first re-opened, best day out we'd had in a while. So maybe each to their own.

People are still being asked to work from home if they can. But pubs, restaurants and hairdressers can open from today, we'll see how that goes. Except in Leicester, they're still in lockdown.
  • Here in Wales - tomorrow is the first time we are going to be able to travel more than 5 miles (unless to work). Absoloutely ridiculous in some ways as people from other areas of the UK have been able to go on hols for last 3 weeks. In fact there is a holiday home jsut a few doors down from me which is rented out - 6 weeks ago a family came down to stay for over a month. They were defo from England. They were enjoying days out every day (weather was good then) but I wasnt allowed to travel or even see my son and he only lives 8 miles away. I can go and see him now but only if I do not enter his house!!! Just seems so unfair that parts of UK are still in lockdown but other parts are not.
    Sorry rant over.
  • We're a little confused. Closed the store because we are supposed to be in a "hot spot" here in Arizona. Well it's hot for sure- around 102 for the last week or so, but, working in a hospital see that the testing tents were taken down two weeks ago, a ghost town at the hospital and parking itself, the Doctors' Lounge an area where up to 6 are just hanging out in their mask-free zone.
    We don't know what to think or do, have suspended trips out, have plenty of masks for whatever, but it seems to be false news. Pictures we and others have seen may possibly be stock photos of somewhere else. Anyway, if it is true that we are "Hot" right now we are taking all precautions. We always want to be "part of the solution, not part of the problem". :)
  • @One_Click_Off, that is so weird (but relieving!) to hear... are you near a big city in AZ or a smaller area out of curiosity? Just this a.m., one news channel was saying parts of AZ and FL are out of morgue space and bringing in freezer trucks like they did in NYC (sounded like what I would call several suburbs vs full cities with the possible exception of Miami - though FL data is hard to come by, that state doesn't release it's stats, just some hospitals).

I've been reading about El Centro not too far from me (40k people), and their chief firefighter was saying things are pretty bad, probably the hardest hit part of our state right now.
  • In bummer news, one of my dear friends and coworkers was hospitalized at 3am last night with COVID (high temp and breathing probs). His wife is an ER nurse, and they've taken a litany of precautions. :-( Please all send good vibes his way, he's a very good and kind man. :-)
  • @Calibrick our prayers are with your friend!
    To answer, Major city, Major hospital- crickets chirping by what is seen and heard...
    Recently we asked our son about news stories concerning having COVID twice. He said, We have done that research and it is not possible- one of the two tests were false positive and attributable to something else.
    We told him that maybe he and other preeminent microbiologists need to be more ‘sensational’- his reply, “Yeah, we’re never going to be sensational enough for news”
  • "We told him that maybe he and other preeminent microbiologists need to be more ‘sensational’- his reply, “Yeah, we’re never going to be sensational enough for news”

...That is a sad fact. Scientists have to share what people don't always want to hear, or data is "too dry", or facts aren't always provocative enough to generate clicks or sell ad revenue.

I truly wish we treated our STEM experts around the world like the rock stars that they are! Heck, I'd have died at 19 if it wasn't for medical advancements, and again at 40. So all love and and gratitude to folks like your son, you, and the rest of the hard-working bio/chem, epidemiology, and virology community from the researchers to the phlebotomists!!!