Colors

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Looks like Dark Tan for the first pic. Maybe Dark Stone Gray for the 2nd. Not sure though with the lighting.
  • edited June 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It's always hard to tell from a photo, but they look to me like Dark Gray and Medium Blue.
  • Thanks for the help, is there a good spot to see different variations of color?
  • I'm seeing Olive Green and Medium Blue. The only sure fire way is to begin a small collection of pieces that you're absolutely sure the colour of, that way you can more easily compare any questionable items. Right now, with these two, see what else you have in your inventory in the colours that have been suggested above, and see if they match.
  • With color questions it's allways good to put some extra items in a photo of which the colors are known.
    For me it looks like Dark Grey (o the old grey) and Medium Blue.

And not only look at the rest of your inventory as you are not sure of the color, other items could be wrong as well. Also look at sets that you have and you are sure that they were build with the correct colors, helped me with some difficult colors.
  • Lol I'm seeing Dark Tan and Sand Blue if the parts are darker in the photos than in real life. There are great threads on here about putting together a color palette reasonably cheaply, e.g., 1x 1 plates, 1 x 1 round plates, 1 x 1 tiles... if you know what set they are from, you can also figure out the colors that way (which is how I taught myself some of the colors early on).
  • LOL Dark Tan, Dark Stone Gray, Medium Blue, Olive Green... looks like the answers are varying a bit. :D
  • I know, I thought that was funny too! The difference between video cards, is my guess?
  • Professional in color management for print and packaging here.

So many variables: display, ambient light, video cards, time of the day, LED, OLED, CRT. And more importantly, because there is no reference piece in a known color in the picture, we also introduce human perception. Whichever color you see/feel first, that's what it's going to be, unchangeable.

Funny example attached. At first it looks like the square A and B are very different in color, A must be darker. But when you measure the colors out digitally, they are exactly the same.

There are thousands of studies done in this area, very interesting stuff.
  • That is fascinating... I worked in the print industry decades ago and was also interested in this kind of stuff (was in an editorial vs. graphic role, unfortunately) - super cool!