Customer messages saying they haven't received a 7 month old package

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice. I just had a customer message me and say that they haven't received their package and that USPS tracking supports their claim. However, their package was sent back in April and I know that USPS reuses tracking numbers, so it's not reliable this far out. Is there any way for me to check on their order status 7 months out, or do I just have to side with the customer on this one without any proof? What would you all do?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • They can only claim on paypal up to 6 months so they can't do a charge back.

Why have they waited so long to say anything?! If it was me - I would say due to the amount of time that has passed you are unable to do anything.
  • I'm with @Alexwilcox . Why in the world would someone wait this long to tell you they haven't received a package? Seems fishy and I don't think you're under any obligation at this point to do anything.
  • I had a similar problem last year (there's a post somewhere on the forum about it here) - a customer reached out to me NINE months later stating it was never received. Similarly, my USPS tracking was of no help, as I couldn't prove shipment.

Folks on the forum convinced me there really are some folks out there that buy so much toward assembling sets and then don't get to them for months, that it was feasible the person was reaching out in good intent - and in my case, it was less than $10 (including shipping). So I just rolled with it and refunded them, but amended my store terms to place a reasonable constraint on when I would refund unreceived orders.

Honestly tho, I still find it weird. Even at my most manic parting out sets, I still verified packages within a few weeks. ;-)
  • edited December 2022 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Conversely, I'd feel horrible if they were right and I didn't refund them, and since I couldn't show otherwise... :-)

And I see you are a fellow US seller. The good news is, if course, you can write the loss off of your taxable profit for less of a tax burden on your sole proprietorship or LLC. Just something to think about.

The decision becomes much harder if it's a larger order, of course, I do not envy your position. :-(
  • To add to what I previously wrote, I'd advice you contact them, explain that you're not sure if anything can be done since it's been so long, and ask why it took them so long to contact you about it. If the order wasn't too large and they give a perfectly legitimate and reasonable explanation, then I'd consider refunding them.