UK Import VAT

I think I've asked this previously but we're getting closer now, so how are BO going to handle HMRC's requirement that as of July, online marketplaces must collect the Import VAT for orders entering the UK? Or is there a volume threshold that makes it not apply to BO?

Comments

• 48 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe I researched the EU marketplace VAT situation previously, and determined it did not apply to Brick Owl. I'll research if the UK situation differs once the government have finished with their random policy generator.
  • Hahahaha I am definitely stealing "random policy generator".
  • edited November 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    BL have decided to soon begin charging Import VAT on orders of less than £135 sent to UK buyers by non-UK sellers. This will, in some cases, be illegal because they're collecting VAT that is not due (orders of less than £15 and on printed papers/books) - unless the law changes of course - but suggests that they are reacting to the change in the UK's status as of 1/1/21.
  • Lolol love "random policy generator"!
  • Hoddie, the new law does not have the 15 pound threshold (maybe in another thread on BL)
    printed paper/books (and some other stuff) can indeed change as well
  • ^^^ It is not illegal. There is a change in the law planned so that all orders placed by UK customers, no matter how small, should have VAT paid on them. Which is not that surprising, given that it is often possible to import hundreds of the same cheap items as individual items into the UK (and other countries) without paying any VAT.
  • I did say "unless the law changes of course" - but what about printed papers? Are they now standard rate VAT?
  • (Most) printed papers are zero rated for VAT. UK government scrapped VAT on ebooks back in May, and I have no idea if they plan to reintroduce VAT on printed papers and/or ebooks.
  • Indeed, I used to work at HMRC for many years, and collecting standard rate VAT on zero-rated goods is illegal, but if collected must still be invoiced and then declared and paid by the seller. If not collected, the sale must still be recorded/invoiced as being charged at a 0% rate.
  • Now that the Brexit transition periode has ended, how will BO deal with sales to the UK in the following cases:

1. Sellers who have registered to pre-pay import VAT on orders shipped to the UK. These sellers should pay VAT to the UK tax authority on orders with a value of less than 135 GBP which means that the VAT on these orders should also be charged to the buyers (unless you expect sellers to pay the VAT out of their own pocket). And this also means that there should be a setting for sellers to indicate that they have registered.

2. VAT-registered sellers in the EU who have not registered to pre-pay import VAT (and orders of more than 135 GBP for sellers who have registered). These orders should now have 0% VAT.

3. And the other way round, VAT-registered sellers in the UK selling to buyers in the EU should have 0% VAT on those orders.
  • 1. I'm not sure the moment

2. They can just remove the UK from their existing tax profile https://www.brickowl.com/mystore/settings/tax_settings

3. They can also change their tax profile to only apply to the UK https://www.brickowl.com/mystore/settings/tax_settings
  • In regards to point 1, on further research, it appears the UK government believes every single foreign company that sells anything to the UK should register for UK VAT.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021#goods-located-outside-the-uk-at-the-point-of-sale

With regards to the references to OMP, Brick Owl doesn't meet the UK/EU definition of an Online Marketplace for the purposes of this legislation
  • edited January 2021 Vote Up0Vote Down
    In other words "let's make life difficult" !
    Unless I'm reading that document incorrectly they expect EVERY seller outside the UK (including us in USA) to register? Are they nuts? Or am I misinterpreting ?

If it is the case how do they plan on enforcement of that rule?
  • @Lawrence, I think you're wrong. I think BrickOwl is an OMP as per the legislation.

But yes, if BrickOwl decides not to facilitate UK VAT by registering as an OMP and complying with the legislation, every seller who decides to ship to UK customers will need to register for a UK VAT number and collect/discharge VAT, or risk having their packages seized or returned by British customs.
  • @Hoddie I would be interested to hear your opinion on that. In the section "A business which only provides one of the following will also not be regarded as an OMP:

a) the processing of payments in relation to the supply of goods
    b) the listing or advertising of goods
    c) the redirecting or transferring of customers to other electronic interfaces where goods are offered for sale, without any further intervention in the supply"

In my understanding of the wording for "a)", Brick Owl does not process the payments for the goods. We provide the technology platform where stores can choose how payments are processed, and they are then processed via PayPal/Stripe etc. As opposed to other platforms such as Amazon/Deliveroo where the payment processing is done by Amazon/Deliveroo itself and the store has no control over the payment processing. Therefore we would only meet point "b)".
  • I think that's the wrong part of the guidance. More important is the bit above:

-----

HMRC’s definition of an online marketplace is a business using a website or mobile phone app (such as a marketplace, platform or portal) to handle the sale of goods to customers which meets all of the following conditions:

* in any way sets the terms and conditions on how goods are supplied to the customer
    * is involved in any way in authorising or facilitating customers’ payments
    * is involved in the ordering or delivery of the goods

-----

The third point is the one you might argue doesn't apply, but it depends on interpretation. BO is not directly involved in ordering or delivery, but facilitates the ordering process which may be enough. It's a while since I've worked at HMRC but I suspect what that point is trying to exclude is a forum where users are permitted to arrange trades amongst themselves.

The a/b/c points you list above, I think, are also included to specifically exclude those who only do one of those things. Point A excludes payment providers, point B excludes craigslist and the like, and point C excludes aggregators like Google Shopping.

The bottom line is that they have introduced the OMP legislation so as not to have 100,000s of individual sellers - many of whom don't even deal with their own tax authorities - from bombarding HMRC with registration requests, annual filings, queries, requests, etc. and all the nonsense that follows on from that such as sending out payment requests, default notices, filing reminders, etc. They'd much rather deal with 50 marketplaces and have them do the hard work of collecting and remitting.

I would normally recommend you get professional advice but this is all so new that I'm sure even accountants of many years experience may not be 100% clear on it all. Contacting HMRC may be a good option but the quality of advice does depend on who you get to speak to.
    @Hoddie Thank you for that response, it's interesting to see your side of things. We have a VAT consultantancy we use so may seek their opinion also.
  • I agree with @Hoddie's interpretation (but of course, the VAT experts will be able to provide better guidance). I understand how it seems like especially point a) may not apply because you are not directly processing the payments like Amazon would, but I believe it is intended to mean that the platform still assists in facilitating the payment process. Clarity from VAT experts would be needed there though.

IMO, it would also be in BrickOwl's best interest to register as such because what will occur is that the UK will become like an island. Many sellers will not bother with VAT registration with the UK as it simply isn't worthwhile for the # of sales to that one country alone, and the other marketplaces that we sell on already will be taking care of this (as they're all registering as OMPs). And thus sellers from outside the UK will simply stop shipping to the UK altogether (I for one, am in this boat and I know I'm not alone). What this means is that UK buyers will no longer be able to use BrickOwl to purchase outside of the country and may have to use other OMPs where the VAT is being handled automatically for sellers. There may be a few sellers that opt to go through the whole VAT registration, but unless they're a really really big entity, I can't see that happening for most.
  • Following on from the earlier discussion, although we might not meet the criteria, it does seem clear that non-UK stores are likely to just disable UK shipping. I would likely do the same if I was not located here. This would also then be a much bigger problem in six months when the EU implements their similar legislation. So we've decided to handle the UK Import VAT as you can see in the site updates.
  • @Lawrence I still can't get over how fast you get things implemented. Big kudos for that. This gives us a bit of time also to read up how to handle the customs forms. At least in Canada, I think this is already a given when we print our labels and it's done at the same time as printing the shipping label. What I'm not really sure about is showing the VAT paid, but I'll contact Canada Post to inquire so that I can turn back on the UK shortly (and after it's implemented on the BrickOwl side).

I also love the way that recent updates are now popping up at the top with an Acknowledge button, Much easier to see these. Thank-you!
  • I am sure Royal Mail will start losing parcel volume as more sellers/retailers abroad disabled UK shipping. I don't buy from abroad for a long time and no plans for it. Just out of question about those of us that buy Lego.com and they come from Denmark will hit with 20% VAT import? Brexit was a very serious mistake and stupid thing to happen so everything gone back ward and far lot worse.
  • Lego's sales within and to the UK were high enough to hit the pre-existing VAT threshold. They already charged UK VAT on online orders.
  • Lawrence, thanks for registering BO as a marketplace for UK VAT. I will enable selling to the UK again in my store when it is all set up. Just one more thing: how will you deal with selling from the EU to Northern Ireland? There are apparently separate rules for that: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/overseas-businesses-selling-goods-to-northern-ireland
  • @paulvdb I will likely have to separate NI from UK and create countries for NI and GB. Which i'd really like not to have to do.

We will also need to handle zero rated VAT for instructions
    During the whole month of December I was already attaching C22 customs declaration on all UK orders, just in case. It's only a minor annoyance for me, as I ship internationally and UK has become just another non-EU country that requires C22. I don't plan to disable UK orders and currently I have a few smaller ones that I plan to ship to UK tomorrow. Since no one knows what will happen once these packages reach the UK customs, that will be a quick reality check. Stay tuned! :)
  • I do not buy from overseas due to the VAT & Customs fees. But in reality the final figure for anyone importing will be the same, and possibly cheaper if customs release fees are nt being charged (unsure how this will now work) One thing though is it should speed up the process of receiving goods once they arrive in the UK as you no longer have to wait for the email invoice to pay and fee as this will already have been paid up front.

In reality how all this will work remains to be seen and I am sure we will quickly receive feedback.

One thing is certain, domestic sales will likely grow
  • So just to clarify. UK sellers Sending to a buyer in the UK Nothing changes.

But is there anything UK Sellers have to do when sending to a Buyer outside of the UK other then sticking a Customs Label on the package?

I'm a little confused on much of the legalities. Still need to wrap my head around it all.
  • @DeadCell79, no change for UK->EU yet, but later this year the EU will require marketplaces to collect EU VAT on all inbound orders.
  • Not quite correct. There is a change for UK to EU: customs form needs to be added now.

And for VAT-registered UK sellers: VAT should only be charged on orders from buyers in the UK. Orders from buyers in the EU should now get 0% VAT just like it was already for orders from buyers outside the EU.
  • @paulvdb they already mentioned that.
  • @Lawrence how about items such as these, which should also presumably be 0% rate?

https://ras.brickowl.com/store/lego-insp-mat-for-3148-in-72807

Perhaps such 'magazines' need moving to the instructions category if that's possible? I believe there are a few Super Heroes one too.
  • Wow, my mind remains blown at how quickly @lawrence was able to react to the 11th hour final changes to Brexit and implement such significant code changes on this platform SO SO FAST.

While I'm sorry to see our UK peers now need to pay VAT on all out-of-country orders, I'm glad UK customers will still be able to easily find and purchase LEGO outside of the UK through this platform.
  • @Hoddie could you let me know more about what that is? BL mentions "Cardboard Punch-outs"
  • They are comics/activity books/pseudo instructions - or a combination thereof. The one I linked would be zero rated (it's a comic with some cardboard cut-outs, but qualifies for zero rate because the qualifying element is in excess of 25% of the total product). I believe they're still referred to as Group III items, which includes almost all printed pamphlets with reading material. There are some standard rate exceptions, such as architect plans, diaries, etc.

It's a difficult area and I would think the easiest way to deal with it is to shift all zero-rated items to their own category titled printed materials or something, retaining the paper category for the cardboard cut-outs, printed backdrops and so on.

Again though, my HMRC experience is many years out of date, please check with your guys when you can. I'm just trying to draw attention to things that may need some consideration.

I don't believe the rules on printed materials are the same across the EU. Perhaps it would be better to allow sellers to tag their own lots as zero-rated.
    @Hoddie Thank you for clarifying, I was mainly interested in what the actual item is, as you have that in stock. It looks like those "inspiration material" may be the only relevant potentially zero rated items, as everything else is an actual component of a set. Are the cardboard cut outs used anywhere in the set? As usually we don't have magazines/brochures in the catalog
  • I'd have to check and get back to you.
  • Is all shipping cost TAX-Free for UK? Here only if you charge the exact amount for National post letter services is, if you send packages or charge extra costs in the shipping price it should have TAX applied.

Just asking.
  • Hello Guyz,

I got a problem here, i am a french reseller but with a particular status (like few seller here) that is i sell products without french VAT. I have no VAT applied.
    Today i made my 1st sale to a UK customer and the 20% UK taxes does apply automaticly but :
    - This is now part of my gross sale/net sale (wich is the same because i dont have VAT)
    - Meaning that i will pay brickowl fees on those 20% UK taxes
    - Meaning that i will pay French taxes on those 20% UK taxes

taxes on taxes this is nonsense...

Have someone some explainations about that ?

thx !
  • @Lawrence my question regarding TAX in shipping was not addressed, please look into it...

Attached is a screenshot of Ali*****ss marketplace. The TAX is collected from the Order Total.

And as far as I have read on the net it is right that shipping cost needs to have UK VAT collected too
  • @Stellar We found some guidance making clear that import VAT should be charged on shipping, so we have updated the tax profiles. This is despite the £135 import vat limit being clear that it does not include shipping.
  • Thanks for the quick reply and appropriate settings change.

Yes, the 135 GBP limit is on items value only.
  • What I notice since Bricklink introduced VAT on the monthly fee charges on top which a big rise and less net income for me meaning I had to increased the handing costs from £1 on each order to £1.20 to £1.50 on top of the postage to cover the VAT costs since buyers don't pay VAT but sellers when they get monthly fees. Does any sellers here increased their handling costs to cover the VAT costs? Mine was £1 since 2013 when i started selling.
  • Surely the buyer should be paying the import tax not the seller? They are the one importing a product. If I sell 10 euro of stock to someone in the UK, the UK buyer should be charged 12euro for this stock. I should still get 10euro for the stock I sold no matter where I sell it too. Is this not the case?
  • Yes. In your example the buyer will pay 12 euro. Of that 12 euro you get to keep 10 euro and you pay the 2 euro VAT to Brick Owl who will pay it to the UK tax authority.
  • @Lawrence I just had a sale to the UK, and we are located in Canada. I see BrickOwl is charging the 20% and filing that to the HMRC, and I am just getting the sale price of the item and the shipping.

My understanding is that all OMPs are required to collect VAT on sales, and that any company that sells to UK customers, but does not sell through an OMP, needs to register with a VAT number.

So my question is, if I am a company in Canada that sells through an OMP (BrickOwl) to a UK customer, how to do I ship the goods to my BrickOwl customer without them having to pay the VAT again when the package hits customs? Do you have a BrickOwl VAT code or something I can attach to my parcel?
  • @TheBrickPeople If you go to the invoice view of the order the VAT details of Brick Owl are displayed. You can print it or make a correct template in your software.
  • @TheBrickPeople - VAT is charged by BO when appropriate but you get the cash. BO then require you to pay the VAT to them along with your monthly invoice.

How customs know that VAT has already been paid is something that's not yet clear. For now, I would suggest including a printed invoice (the BO is fine as it shows the VAT/VAT number) within a clear envelope on the outside of the parcel.
  • To summarize: British buyer now pays 20 % more. EU seller gets payment and PayPal takes their fee on the whole amount, VAT included. At the end of the month seller sends VAT to BrickOwl and PayPal takes their fee again, this time from BrickOwl. Buyers, sellers and BrickOwl lose additional money on these back and forth transactions. Is this correct?