Messages missing notification

I have only just realized that if the author of a message unchecks "response needed" then I get no notification.

Why?

Just because a response isn't required, it does not mean that I don't want to read a message received!!

As of now I always leave "response needed" otherwise my message likely won't get read!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If a message is marked as no response needed, it will be sent to your email, but it won't show in the outstanding actions counter by your username. You can still view the message in your messages on the website or via email.
  • @Lawrence
    I realize that - however I view messages "on site" - my email address is full of order notifications, paypal messages and so on. Why not simply allow ALL new messages to show with a "unread" notification on site?
    It would be helpful, as if someone has taken the time to write a message, they kinda want it read EVEN if they don't require a response!
  • I like the way it is now. If you have a messagebox full with other messages you can reorganize your emails by using rules. So you can make a rule that puts all PayPal messages in a separate directory. It's pretty easy and gives you a better overview of the other important emails. Also your mails from Birckowl can be redirected to another directory. That's the way I handle the emails.
  • Well I don't!

If you have to use filters in an external email program - to "see" all messages - then what is the point of having on site messages?

In any case I don't have access to my emails (on my mac) in the store room - I rely on the site message system.

The BL system is better with High Priority messages vs "normal" at least you get a notification of ALL messages. Amazon notifies of all messages, eBay same, in fact every website I use is this way!

Also it would be good to have a "read" notification as well.

Room for improvement IMO
  • Yes I'd like to see it as well.
    I'd also like to see a notification when a quote I've placed has been returned.
  • I didn't know the message system worked this way and earlier today, I sent a message to a customer that is a 'must read.' I didn't set it for 'Reply' because there's no need for a comeback. Now I'm worried she won't see it.

Mm....
  • @waynstar

Suggest re-send to be sure :)
  • Hmmm.
    Just sent a customer a message and unchecked this box. Wish I had done the forum search first.

Sorry to be opinionated as a new member here...
    This is a bad configuration and confusing use of words.

There should always be a notification for a user on the website of a message. Why in the world would I not want them notified?! I guess the idea is that email is maybe the more ubiquitous fallback. Okay I guess. People have widely varied email habits and the dreaded spam folder is a possibility.

The checkbox wording is confusing for the sender. "Response Required" to a message sent means a response back. I don't literally need them to respond back, but I do want them to read it. Maybe action required could pass, but really just make the box say what it actually does (as I understand it from this forum thread); which is notify member in action menu - user menu whatever that list is called.

At least I know now to always check the box.

My apology if this sounds short tempered, I'm not upset. But that box is poorly conceived for the sellers needs.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Or not...

Oh well I guess I need to do some more digging. Lawrence's reply was not a comprehensive explanation of messaging options/paths.

My customer messaged back obviously with the "required response" checkbox ON. The only way I could clear the message counter in my action menu was to send redundant "Cheers" message back.
    So if I send helpful FYI messages and have the box ON my customers could be possibly annoyed by an unclearable counter unless they send back?!
    But then if they don't know better and leave it checked I get the annoying action counter?!
    This is poorly designed.
    Everywhere in life we have "unread" counters, why not have that as a default. For really important messages then have an optional box for "high priority" or "must respond (with message back)".

If I'm still missing how this is working feel free to clearly explain it.
    I'm always happy to learn.
  • You can click "mark as response not required" if you don't feel one is necessary.
  • @Hoddie Ahhhhh! Thanks. Didn't see that in message, recipient can mark no response needed to clear action list.
    I guess this works, even if a bit opaque to start. Those info question marks next to features are a good idea.
    Thanks again for clarifying.