Measurements

What is the best way to measure the following item?

Tile 2 x 2° 90 with ° 45 Cut (27263)

It may be obvious but it still hasn't been edited to include size, so I'm guessing others are also, not quite certain.
Personally, I'd go with the same measurements as
LEGO Tile Corner 2 x 2 (14719).

What does everyone think. Love to sort it. I think I have too many items without dimensions and request a quote (while handy and essential), may put people off buying.

All replies gratefully received.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think your idea about matching with 14719 sounds good. Sometimes you can spends ages trying to decide what's the long edge, etc. I would say either imagine a square that the tile fits into and measure a side as both length and width, or alternatively a rectangle and measure from the corner 'points' as the length with the width being the narrower dimension. Bit difficult to describe without a diagram but hopefully you get the gist!

James
  • Thanks James. I think we're on the same thought line on this.
    I've quite a few items missing dimensions. Mostly, they're awkward shaped pieces, so I'm considering getting one of those caliper measuring devices.
    Thanks for the reply!
  • No problem! Yes, I got a cheapie one off ebay, they're pretty useful and I think most of them take those small button batteries to allow for a more accurate reading (but can still be used without). Bionicle parts are the worst...
  • I'd go for 16 x 16 x 3 mm (same as a standard 2 x 2 tile) but you could also use the diagonal measurement Jay37 mentioned. If I calculated correctly that would make it 22.6 x 11.3 x 3 mm. Total volume would be almost exactly the same in both cases so it should not make much of a difference for shipping methods.
  • @waynstar @Jay37 @paulvdb
    You need to imagine the measured item is going to be recalculated as a 3D 'box' by BO.
    So technicly, on 'akeward' items you need to look at it from different angles and 'imagine' what BO will do with it. I do not agree to compare it with part 14719 on this, as indeed one can take diagonal measurements as Paul suggested, and that is indeed the correct way to handle this case IMHO.
    16x16x3 (like 2x2 tile or 14719)= 768 mm³. In diagonal measurement it's 766.14 mm³(based on Paul's measurement:22.6x11.3x3).
    Now it ain't much of a difference, but don't think in quantities of '1' or '2' or '5', think in a quantity of 100 (because 'yes', some sellers might sell such quantities), and you have a difference of 186 mm³. In a mailer, such can make a difference between a certain shipment 'level' and the next one (particulary if all submittors are going to 'round' certain numbers on hundreds of items).
    Bottomline is: take measures in various ways (and 'imagine' as if it is a small 'box') and stick to the smallest 'required' one, BO will do the rest (as it doesn't just calculate in '3D', it 'rotates' every item as well, so more like a virtual 3x3D )
  • Of course, if you pour 100 of them into a bag you are going to have a different total volume still.
  • My estimate was rounded to one decimal using Pythagoras a² + b² = c² to calculate the diagonal. Using the unrounded value (11.3137084989848) gets the exact same volume of 768 m³ that you get when you use the measurements of a 2 x 2 tile.
  • Thanks all for your comments. Appreciated.