How do you handle 4070?

How do you guys who sync between BL and BO handle part 4070. On BL there's no longer any differentiation between slotted and no slot. The slotted version (4070a) is being removed and everybody is now just using 4070. Will this not show up as the part with no slot on BO when synced?

Seems like this would be a source for a lot of confusion and problems.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I add a note to say that the slot isn't deliberate, and is a mould error. The part is intended to have no slot, as you can see in LDD.
  • Maybe, I really don't know what the real intention with that part might have been. Personally I think it's a bit odd to remove the slotted part though when it's pretty much guaranteed they all will have a slot nowadays. But it is what it is. I just want to avoid confusion with it.
  • It was confirmed by TLG the slot is unintended, that's why BL are dropping the mould split. There was a forum post ages ago [18 months?]. LDD shows the part as it should be, with no slot.
    I agree, the 4070 should be 'with slot' and no slot a variant [even though that's technically unintended by TLG for the 'main' variant].
  • Yeah, I think I will go with your solution and put a comment explaining it.
  • Out of curiosity, separate from the listing/selling issue, does anyone who buys or builds actually have a preference? Seems like these sort of differences have no affect on building, and comical (to me) that listings got that specific about part differentiations. Different colors is understandable, but if it's got the same exact design ID from Lego and the differentiation has no bearing on fit or shape - why did anyone care in the first place?
  • I dont't remember ever seeing one of these. Do the slotted ones only come from the factory in Mexico or are they also in circulation here in europe?
  • I dont't remember ever seeing one of these. Do the slotted ones only come from the factory in Mexico or are they also in circulation here in europe?
    Odd, almost all those I have are slotted.

• Ok, first thing when i come home from work ist to investigate my 245 pieces in stock and the ones from my own collection. Maybe i´ve just been blind regarding this slots :)
  • Shame on me. I just realized most of them really have the slot... just some of my own stock don't.
  • Odd that on Bricklink it states: 'Most examples of this part do not have the slot, but some may.'
    In my experience, most have the slot. I have yet to purchase a set within the last couple of years, containing this item, of which did not have the slot.
    When looking at my son's personal collection, he has just a few out of 163 without the slot and these are clearly old (bought 2nd hand).
  • 'Most examples of this part do not have the slot, but some may.' - seriously BL? BL sometimes says weird stuff, as they're so US biased. They certainly don't get updated moulds as fast as the EU. All modern 4070 have the slot pretty much, even though it's not an intended feature. 4070 with no slot seem to split more, but then again, they are older.
    Too confusing!
    @JayB-SoCal The unslotted ones split easily just below where the slot would be. I've only found unslotted ones to do this; from about a kilo of these [used], I threw away 800 grams, as they were split.
  • @TheSkirrid thanks for that explanation, that makes sense now why the difference would matter.
  • Odd that on Bricklink it states: 'Most examples of this part do not have the slot, but some may.'
    In my experience, most have the slot.
    Yeah that's why I find BL's note on this so backwards. I can't remember when I would have seen one without a slot and I doubt one can find a new one today without the slot.
    Maybe non-slotted are more common on other continents, I dunno... Either way it seems pretty clear that having the slot is most up to date. And intended or not, obviously the mould has been made to include the slot. Maybe it was not intended originally but now it is for whatever reason.
  • Many moons ago I had a chat with a TLG rep about this...

The "old" style (no slot) were pretty much guaranteed to split with only a few number of "clicks" together.
    The new style (slot) had the slot to relieve the pressure so they didn't split and therefore retained the clutch, so that things wouldn't fall apart.

So AFAIK it is actually a mold improvement (not an error) - I don't believe any plants still produce the old style.

Problem is that BSX maps to the "old" style on BO - so I included a note stating "all new parts are with slot"

There is a significant cosmetic difference, especially important in micro-scale, and am surprised that BL decided to axe the difference in parts.

G

• @Graham Can you give an estimation on the 'many moons' ago? was that 2y, 5y, 7y, 10y ago?
  • @RobErNat Not close but - before Jan 2013 and after june/july 2011
  • BL basically kept the non slot variant and the wording that you might *occasionally* find one with a slot is what bugs me when in reality slotted variants is all you'll find with new parts.
    But, it is what it is. They are not likely to change it.
  • Can't answer bricksinbins original question, but I do the following to help buyers find the correct version if their interested in the variant. List two separate lots on bl with a description of which are slot/non-slot, and with Brickowl I list them as I always have been doing it. I can see where a builder would want to stay consistent with a build or match the part they already have in a set, so makes sense to keep it.

• I just noticed some new parts from a recent set have no (visible) slot, and some with a very very slight "slot" - the internals are identical to the "with slot" variant. What now?
  • So back to the actual question on this. How to handle this with BrickSync? If parting out with BrickStock you get the generic 4070 without slot. How do I map this one to the slotted variant on BO?

There's a setblid command. Could this be used to change the BLID of the slotted BOID to the BL 4070? Not sure if this is a permanent change though.

Or maybe owlforceblid is better. This creates a permanent entry in the BrickSync cache and permanently maps a BLID to a BOID. This actually sounds like the right solution.

Surely you guys selling on both sites must have ran into this problem. How have you solved it?