Global Cart

We've been working on a new feature recently which we're now ready to release for inital feedback. The Global Cart feature allows users to add items to a cart directly from the catalog. The system then finds the optimal* combination of stores to purchase the parts in. The solution it presents is ready for checkout straightaway, taking account of all shipping, minimum limits and taxes.

The feature is currently only shown to users that have a store for the feedback phase.

I would be interested to hear feedback on the feature, particularly in relation to any issues that may be found.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Some quick feedback while I experiment with it.
    1. Once you are in the global cart, if you update a quantity from that page, the solution is not updated
    2. Can we get maybe the top 3 solutions, or the ability to "see next solution" so we can compare sellers?
    3. Can you add store info like feedback percentage, order volume, shipping time, smoke free icon, etc. to the solution?
  • 4. Emptying a store cart also emptied the global cart. That should be separate.
  • When the solution requires more than one store, I'm not sure the allocation is optimized. Here's an example: 32x 60594 windows in dark green. Solution for US stores returns 12x from JEA @ .38 and 20x from Brocks at @.37. Both stores have minimums covered, which is good, but the allocation could be better. 6x from JEA would cover the minimum in that store with the higher price, and 26x are available from Brocks. This would save $0.06 (not a material amount, but a good example).
  • How do I find this feature to try it out?
  • edited September 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Just did some very 'basic' testing (was working on something else).
    1. Being able to set a 'guidance price' would be nice. For instance I added some basic bricks, for one color I wanna spend about 1 Euro, would be nice the system would pick stores around that price (25% up allowed for example) .
    2. Being able to see the actual quantity the seller has for sale (even if my selection was higher or lower) would be nice and with the possibility to change the 'buy' quantity under each item.
    3. Didn't figure out how to add all items from one store in one shot... (like a 'put all these items in cart')
    4. Would like to have the option under the colortab of a catalogentry, for multiple selections (different colors) without having to go to each color individually. This kind of thing would be extremely handy when one needs plenty of the same part in different colors (imagine for the mosaic AFOL's). Obviously the 'guidance price' would not be an option there.
    5. Can't select 'condition' (new vs used with it's subconditions)
    6. Selected a quantity of 50, then pressed several times on the 'global cart' button. Each time it said 'was updated succesfully'. Would rather get a pop up saying 'already in your global cart' with QTY 50, would you like to update quantity? Y/N. Obviously I know 'now' I pressed it several times, so I know it's in my global cart, but I might not remember I placed it my global cart a week from now, and I might be working on a second project that also needs the part, so I would need to adjust my quantity based on old quantity.

I agree with DadsAFOL's observations

But in general, I already like the feature, nice work :-)

I'll do some more tests next days.
  • Assuming global carts won't stay around for several months, it would also be great to be able to turn the global cart into a wishlist (nameable), this could be handy if one isn't able to buy all in a few purchases and prefers backing up the remaining items in a more solid way.
  • Thank you for your feedback, I have made some notes based on this.

@Dadsafol when updating the quantity on the Global Cart, if you hit enter or press the update button, the solution should then update, can you confirm that this is not happening? Additionally, editing a store cart should not have any effect on the Global Cart.
  • There are now two distinct 'carts' - one at store level, and one at the global level. Some buyers will be confused if clicking "Cart" takes them to an empty cart rather than the cart they've been filling while browsing a particular store.

Seems like there should be a better way of handling this.
  • @Hoddie Good point, I'll merge in some information about existing store carts into the page
  • First off, great concept! Taking automatic checkout to the next level. Me likes!

I can see a few challenges along the way. One is related to the request already made by RobErNat to add more of a selected item from a store to the cart.

If you want to optimize a "sub order" to fully use the shipping cost charged, you need to be able to go into that shop, and add directly from the shop into the global cart while monitoring the cost added (which is not possible ATM). Aside from the extra logic needed to program this, would the system then also recalculate a new optimal set of orders, possibly bumping out the shop that was just visited (because now, with the higher item count, another shop comes qualifies because their minimum buy was met)? This could result in the buyer trying to "optimize" himself into a way larger order than is actually optimal.

I might be over-thinking this a bit though.

Niek.
  • With regards to adding more to a stores cart, the system currently adds the relavant items to the store cart, then you are taken to it where you can continut to update or add to it. I will be adding a prompt in the store cart to suggest the customer may want to do this.
  • Already asked this in another post, probably better to ask here now.

Is there a way of adding from the wishlist?
  • Isn't adding from the wishlist to the global cart the same as using the buy function of the wishlist while selecting all stores?
  • edited September 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Importing/exporting to wishlists is something that we may add in the future, but not for this initial release. As mentioned above, you can achieve similar using the existing wishlist buying tool, it doesn't work in exactly the same way though.
  • I'm seeing boxes with the option to select multiple colors, together with a 'show more' button to even see more colors to select in one shot. Looks great ;-)
  • I noticed that stores that ship in 6-14 days are omitted when one browses the catalog but are included in the global cart algorithm. Not sure if that's intended.
  • @bluedragon Thank you for noticing that, that's now been fixed
  • Thank you for your feedback, I have made some notes based on this.

@Dadsafol when updating the quantity on the Global Cart, if you hit enter or press the update button, the solution should then update, can you confirm that this is not happening? Additionally, editing a store cart should not have any effect on the Global Cart.
    Yes, from this page: http://www.brickowl.com/gcart, changing a quantity and clicking "update cart" has no effect. The solution is not updated. Safari browser.
  • @DadsAFOL That's now been fixed, I hadn't done any cross browser stuff yet